How to get more fruit and veg in your diet?

Does anyone know any good ways to get fruit and veg in your diet? So far I have started eating soups for lunch regularly, I have been buying more fruit juices and keeping my fruit bowl full. I still dont eat nowhere near what I would like to though. Has anyone got any tips and tricks to get more fruit and veg in your diet?

5 Likes

Do you make smooth soups or chunky ones?

Try snacks of carrots with hummus it’s nice.

2 Likes

Then there’s naturally made smoothies if you get a blender. But try to add things like cucumbers and celery, not just fruit cos it could get too sugary

1 Like

I normally have either tomato or scotch broth, so a bit of both. I was thinking of the carrot sticks thing actually.

1 Like

crudite is one of my favorite things to eat. It takes a little work but you can get a bunch ready for days ahead of time then it’s easy just to grab some and it’s delicious. I like mine with ranch dressing.

5 Likes

Yeah, I have a blender, I only use it every month or two though. I am not overly fussed about eating lots of sugar to be honest, I work off the calories and I think I am at a pretty low risk of diabetes.

Also make lasagna and add a layer of squash, a layer of mushrooms, and a layer of spinach between the pasta and the sauce.

Buy pasta sauce, whatever your favorite is, and add handfuls of chopped kale and shredded carrots to it and simmer for an hour before serving. You can add broccoli, onions, garlic, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms or bell pepper. You can have it with meat or vegetarian, You can make the veggies small so you don’t notice them in the sauce or you can leave them big and chunky. This is a great way to get your veggies. Serve with pasta or rice.

2 Likes

Baked apple tastes good

1 Like

I have two cans of V8 Juice per day right now and also drink two glasses of this:

Finally getting my bottom plate fitted on Saturday at noon. Hard to chew with just a top plate and some mostly healed gums. First order of business is a salad. Want to see if I can handle that.

Edit: Naturelo tastes AWFUL. But… Gotta get your veggies.

1 Like

for me most of my fruit comes from my morning smoothie, which is 1 to 2 cups of frozen berries and a ripe banana. then a big salad for lunch, with greens, peas, onions and tomatoes.

for dinner i have a bean salad, not sure if beans are considered a veggie. it’s garbanzo beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, mixed together.

then as a snack i have pumpkin seeds and raisin mix.

you could also try juicing but it gets expensive. im too poor to juice, but if i get a job, i will replace my morning coffee with veggie juice.

1 Like

Making smoothies with greens and fruit makes it really easy. Add a little vanilla yogurt and some type of milk and you’ll be great

1 Like

I usually went for smoothies if I wanted more fruit and vegetables since smoothies don’t bother my texture issues.

1 Like

I buy not from concentrate apple and mango juice from Aldi. I drink about 2 litres a week.

Also I have an apple for lunch week days which is new for me.

1 Like

I drink a lot of pure orange juice. Smoothies are great for getting fruit. I also eat a lot of frozen berries. I also eat bananas and grapes. As far as veggies go I love beans. And veggie chili is great with beans and green peppers and onions and banana peppers.

1 Like

Smoothies are a good way to get fruit and veg in, and veg soup I love too.

Also hiding veg or fruit in your cooking.

Like when I make lentil bolognaise like I did today, I add onion and tomato and sometimes grated carrot as well.

And when I make flapjacks I add grated apple or a banana.

I admit I’m not fond of salads so the only way I get raw veg in is in my smoothie - I put kale and carrot in with the banana and apple and sometimes blueberries as well.

1 Like

I’ve found with fruits it’s easier for me to consume more if I cut it up, like make a fruit salad or something.

If I buy an apple, a banana and an orange I’ll be like “no way I can eat all that”
but if I cut it into bite sized pieces and make a fruit salad, I’m unstoppable

3 Likes

I only eat fresh fruit and veggies when I want a snack. And at meal times I make sure half my plate is veggies.

I eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, and mandarin oranges. A lot of other things, too. But those are my current favorites. Well, and zucchini and tomatoes right now because there are so many from the gardens.

1 Like

I eat broccoli and zucchini every day with my meals as a starter or included in it. I love tomatoes as well and potatoes

1 Like

Get a juicer. A slow juicer. You won’t be as hungry.

1 Like

I buy frozen veggies that you just heat in the microwave, and serve. Real easy.

1 Like