How many of you are on social security disability?

I was wondering how many of you are on ss disability and if you can work part time. I don’t know anything about it, but my psychiatrist said yesterday that I might have to be put on it when I turn 18.

I’m on it.
:money_mouth:

2 Likes

i’m on ssi. I was approved just a few months after my first hospitalization back in 2010. it does help but there are restrictions. Can’t have too much money is savings, can’t work more than part time when on it or you make too much money.

1 Like

It depends if you get SSI or SSDI as to how much you can make/work. Part time either way, I believe, but SSDI you can at least have money in savings.

1 Like

I’m on it. Get paid once a month

1 Like

I get SSDI. 1515

1 Like

I’m on SSI.

1 Like

I will be applying for SSI as soon as i get a referral to see a psychiatrist, i am not sure though if i will get it since the doctor that i went to changed my diagnosis from schizophrenia to psychosis. Anyone knows whether i am still eligible for SSI with a psychosis diagnosis?

1 Like

to get SSDI you need to have a valid work history…i made 25K a year for 8 years, and only qualified for less than 1K a month

On SSDI you can make 750 a month without affecting your benefits, however you still need to report. over 750 a month and they start penalizing you.

HOWEVER you get 9 months total while on disability (they do not need to be consecutive., so you could make a bunch more money every fall just before Xmas) where your income will not account against you no matter how much you make. According to my Casemanager, if i made 10M in one month of work, it could not be counted against me!

As far as saving goes, you have up to 2K in your savings account without it affecting your benefits, as long as you do not have that money for more than 60 days consecutive. (this rule varies from state to state and apparently person to person, as those who get more in SSDI payments can save less/more i forgot which)

hope i answered some of your questions!

2 Likes

I work freelance, i make as much as part time money and i just got accepted on disability. They are paying me around 550$ CAd per month. In canada i can not make more than 15K net income per year otherwise they will cancel my disability

3 Likes

I’m on it. it sucks but I’m on it. I’d rather work at a factory and just operate a machine all day but I don’t because then it would be impossible to go to college.

1 Like
         :raised_hand:
1 Like

Im on SSDI … I have a long work History

2 Likes

I think I’m on ssdi and ssi. But maybe not for long. My 3 year review came up and they said I medical improved and that I’m no longer disabled. I think it’s because I haven’t went to the doctor in over a year. But Im in the appeal process. Hopefully I get back on it. It’s a very stressful situation

1 Like

I was on something similar called: Canada Pension Plan - Disability. It supplemented Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped, an income program in the province I live in. I, unfortunately, qualified for both programs with extreme prejudice. No longer on them, which is good most days, but I’m very glad they were there when I needed them.

4 Likes

Wow you make a lot through ssdi

2 Likes

Nope, I get a bit of a pensions based on disability, pretty much what retired people get but due to disability.

1 Like

Yea. I’ve been on ssd for about 20 years in the USA

1 Like

1515 was to make the post long enough to fifteen characters. I have an extensive work history. I didn’t get diagnosed until 38 and still managed to work until I was 42 making decent money. My SSDI check is larger than that.

1 Like

Wow I knew someone who made about 2000 bucks enough to get your own apartment 28th. I would never wanna be off disability with those numbers

1 Like