How many of you are on social security disability?

You can make a lot more than that with an education and a good job.

3 Likes

I donā€™t qualify for SSI. I tried a few times. The first one they said I filled out the wrong form or something. I find the paperwork confusing, but thereā€™s a gray area. Iā€™m not disabled enough that I canā€™t work, however I canā€™t seem to find adequate work at the moment. I applied for food stamps and I have to join the work force to qualify for a food stamp card or EBT card. I told them all that I could as accurate and honest as possible. I told them about the allowance, that a good potion of my allowance goes towards food. That I was buying my mom food but separately because she has money too, even though sheā€™s disabled. My dadā€™s going to send a note in writing to verify that I get my weekly allowance and that I donā€™t have an income currently but that I am able to work and just need a little extra input or resources so I can find work and succeed. I donā€™t get paid to work for foodstamps at first, but eventually it will help me get work experience. Iā€™m too sporadic when it comes to jobs and I never do it right. I worked one job for a day and cashed a payroll check that I didnā€™t technically need for $35 and now the IRS might try and go after me so I have to go to the IRS building tomorrow and explain and learn how to fix the issue with the earnings and income. Theyā€™re trying to say I owe them $85 in back taxes and Iā€™m not sure why. I probably need to fill out my taxes there. My dad hasnā€™t showed me how to do that, and Iā€™m pretty inept other than having an allowance. Iā€™m tired of it. I wish I just had enough money and confidence to lift myself out of poverty and not feel like Iā€™m draining the world around me when I have so much potential and compassion.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna be on SSDI in a few months, looking for a part time job currently and a few prospects that I hope will work out.

1 Like

I get SSDI monthly and have since 1998. I qualify for this not because of any lies told by anyone, but because I earned enough quotas to qualify for it. I worked my butt off for the 13.5years I did work, so Iā€™m entitled to it, this isnā€™t a handout like welfare.

After my divorce, my ex asked us (me and current husband) for some help to move some pallets around at his shop, this was in march of 2014.
No big deal right?
Hahaha.
Because he paid us by check, and we hadnā€™t discussed beforehand how much, or even if we were getting paid for just this one time, he made the check out to me for both of us, and this was the start of a series of major headaches that still isnā€™t resolved yet.

That check triggered a review at the SSA (social security) to determine if I was capable of returning to work, which they were satisfied I was not.
Then the State of California decided since I got that check from my ex, and held a current cosmetology license-(cheaper to renew every other year than start over from scratch if it lapses) that I must be working and hiding my income and not paying my share of taxes.

Then another notice shows up to say they believe I make $34K a year based on others with same licenses make on average, so they are demanding $866.00 for unpaid taxes and penalties unless I can prove to them that I do NOT make $34K a year!

Do I show them my non-existent pay stubs as proof?

Arenā€™t they supposed to prove Iā€™m guilty to a judge if they accuse me?
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Did the United States move away while I was sleeping?

Stay tuned for more detailsā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry to hear that. Youā€™re doing the right thing, and I admire you for that. I donā€™t know your religious beliefs, but I believe that Satan is the father of the lie.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been waiting 5 years so far.
Been denied every time.
Canā€™t appeal anymore so now I have an attorney filing a lawsuit against the feds for me to get on it.

1 Like

SSDI 12 years now. 12 years full-time work before that, plus college degree.

2 Likes

Been mentally ill since 16 Iā€™m still waiting on ssdiā€¦ itā€™s at the federal level pending

i got on it too back in March - they donā€™t pay a lot though

iā€™m not on SSDI

Edit: old thread. Iā€™m sad.

1 Like

Sleepybug, getting ssdi would be more than I get now which is 0 mehā€¦ sighā€¦

1 Like

I am on SSDI. My understanding is that you can earn up to like $1000 a month before they consider you are no longer considered disabled. Donā€™t quote me, though. Itā€™s interesting that they donā€™t base it on hours but on money.

Iā€™ve been on SSDI for 18 years now. I earned my quota by working full time for almost 14 years and paying into it.

2 Likes

you just need to fill out the forms differently

you on your worst ever day is what will get the money - itā€™s not cheating i had help from someone official to do the DLA form (UK)

i had to say i canā€™t dress myself - cos i dress very inappropriately (i.e. nothing on bottom half just a top on etc)

every question answered like that would probably get you the money

I am but thereā€™s limitations for me. I canā€™t have more than $2000 in the bank or ss will reduce my checks till I spend it. You canā€™t save money up to buy something cool like a new atv,they make you spend it. But you can make payments.

Iā€™m on ssi. Work PT as well. When I used to work FT I kept running into trouble with them because I was making too much money. The good thing is I live in a board & care type situation so I receive more money that way.

Do you live in the US? I heard that if you live in a residential facility they take 90% of your money. Your situation must be different. Is it a group home? Does the State or Govā€™t pay for your living situation? Just curious

1 Like

You can now make $840 gross per month without being penalized. It usually goes up a little each year. I would suggest you take a look a ssa.gov to learn more about it. You will most likely be on ssi not ssdi because you are so young and probably donā€™t have much of a work history.

I get so confused. I Filed For Both . I thought they told me I didnā€™t qualify for ssi because of no work credits and that it was ssdi I needed to file for.