How long are hospital stays where you live?

Mine vary widely, but are typically 5-10 days in stabilization and then sent home, typically with little to no help. The most help I typically get is from other patients. Many patients here only stay 72 hours.

A few times I’ve had longer stays: a month or two. Either because I’m getting inpatient intensive ECT or in a trauma unit.

I’ve heard in other countries, things are different. I’m in the US.

1 Like

I’ve stayed for months at a time in mental hospitals.

1 Like

I think nearly 4 months was my longest stay

1 Like

i was in the psych ward twice and every time for 4 months

1 Like

My longest stay was 20 days… Lied through my teeth to be discharged early :upside_down_face: It was either that, or be recertified for another month

1 Like

Around one week here if you get better.

1 Like

for me anything between 1 day to 8 weeks

1 Like

My longest was 4 months. :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

1 Like

my shortest stay was 1 month, 4 months my longest. my local hospital is not that nice, the food is good though. no music therapy or anything like that though, and someone is always watching daytime television like dr phil or judge judy on tv. it drives me crazy, i hate daytime tv, it is cruel and unusual punishment. last time i was there, there was this young kid bragging about his opiod addiction and how many pills he was taking a week. maybe that is why he was in there i dont know.

1 Like

My longest stay was a section I think it was 28 days

1 Like

First hospital stay in the 90s was for a week.

Second hospital stay 5 years ago was for 2 weeks.

Third hospital stay 5 years ago was for 3 weeks.

My new therapist thinks I’m high functioning because I was only hospitalized 3 times.

Kind of makes sense.

1 Like

Here is typically 3 to 7 days.

1 Like

My longest stay was 13 weeks. I’ve been sectioned 13 times in 10 years. I was being sectioned twice a year before I started Invega. Last time was last September and just needed a increase in meds, was in there 3 weeks.

Been on a community treatment order for over 9 years though.

1 Like

Longest was 3 and a half weeks , shortest 3 days!

1 Like

Here it varies. My longest was 4 weeks, shortest was a day after I discharged myself.

If you’re on section, obviously that’s totally different.

In 2017 I got hospitalised 4 times, and out of three of them there was still this same guy in there who was not allowed to leave by law

1 Like

when i had health insurance i used to go in for about 8 weeks each time…but then i gave up my insurance and now attend the public hospital…they have a habit of not letting you stay long at all…i alwys feel pressured to leave within days

1 Like

They only allow 7 days,(unless court ordered) I was there 7, three times I think, not sure what they are doing now with covid

1 Like

It’s been around three weeks every time for me. Back in the early nineties they would keep me three or four months every time they committed me. That time is greatly diminished now. I was at a mental hospital in Tennessee in the late nineties that kept me three or four months. I didn’t like it because I was on Zyprexa at the time. Zyprexa has always made me mildly depressed and groggy. My last commitment in 2013 kept me about three weeks. It wasn’t bad.

1 Like

My one and only stay was 7 days. I can’t even begin to imagine staying longer than that. It was awful – you all must have some decent hospitals, in order to stay 3-4 months. The hospital I stayed at was horrible.

1 Like

4 months was my longest stay, it felt so long, food was horrible had to wake up early with blinding lights. i hated it.

1 Like