How good are you at masking symptoms?

I try as much as I can to act normal even when it seems like my symptoms are taking over. It’s quite hard at times but the fear of being stigmatized keeps me in check.

8 Likes

I used to work at a bank while unmedicated.

Handling hundreds of thousands of dollars of people’s life savings.

All while bugging out for most of it.

I like to think I got one over on everyone-- colleagues and customers included.

8 Likes

I’m very good at masking my symptoms.

4 Likes

I just don’t talk about my fears and issues, even when I’m afraid. People just don’t understand.

2 Likes

I mask everyday. I don’t want to worry people, fiancée and mother can usually see through it though.

Here is where I take it down, where I can express and let out some of my more mental experiences. This is a safe space

3 Likes

I have various coping methods that disguise my troubling symptoms, or help me work around them. I don’t know whether this is considered masking or not. I do act pretty weird, enough so that NTs notice and think I’m “eccentric” in some indescribable way. They mostly find me entertaining, though. So I guess I mask my disabling symptoms, but not my odd ones.

3 Likes

I rewired my brain to my desired effect, peace engulfed me

1 Like

I function very well and take care of myself but I’ll admit I don’t know how I pull it off somedays :neutral_face:

1 Like

When I have a voices episode or paranoia or mood swings I try to hide it from my husband but he eventually finds out most of the time because I can’t hide the expression on my face.

1 Like

Sometimes I think I mask it too well

1 Like

I worked every time I was ill, one customer noticed and sent me to their corporate Doctor, they sent right to hospital, so even though I thought no one knew, they sense it

2 Likes

No one except head doctors ever ‘notices’ that I’m crazy. And even when I divulge the fact to friends they refuse to believe me.

I am learning how to mask mine… it’s hard but I just try to act normal around ppl…

2 Likes

The only symptom I can’t hide is my trembling hands. But that’s not exactly a symptom. It’s a side effect of medication. It makes me feel a bit unconfortable, but I’m not worried about that because it’s not necessarily a symptom of mental illness.

1 Like

I can speak to anyone, and they would not know that I suffered psychosis - I don’t hear voices or see hallucinations

I’m very good at speaking and masking symptoms - the symptoms I have now are mostly negative

The Docs on the psychiatric ward said I ‘was highly intelligent in the way I talked around various issues’

I was really good at making excuses, and offering a different perspective on why I was seen doing odd things

2 Likes

I’m pretty good at masking save for my stutter and shaking hands, but usually I dont talk and hide my hands. When it gets real bad I can’t hide it at all.

I’m very good at pretending everything is fine with me no matter what kind of turmoil is happening in my mind.

Some of my symptoms no one knows about, but other symptoms I can’t hide.

I am good at doing it to a point.

The trouble I have is I have hidden them for so long, things usually reach crisis point seemingly very quickly to other people as I have to be so secretive about things as there is a lot at stake.

You can call it avoiding stigma, or whatever. But you won’t catch me disclosing much these days to anyone really, as I learnt the hard way that you can lose people in your life if you’re not careful

I have been doing this since I was 16/17 years old. I know how to cope with things, and generally when to make some noise to professionals if things are getting shaky.

2 Likes

On meds no one can know that I have sz unless I tell them.