How good are you at masking symptoms?

In 2012 when I relapsed I had a crying breakdown at work and couldn’t hide it. It’s hard to hide crying spells but when my depression of the numb type or not so bad I can smile and laugh and hide it well. Same with voices. If they’re bad I talk back to them and have agitated expression but if they not too bad I can hide it.

1 Like

Must be good, so far no one has ever asked me if I’m crazy yet.

1 Like

I can present moderately well to people when I am suffering or terrified etc. A blessing and a curse.

1 Like

Hmm I guess really good because I talked my way through the marines training talk and requirements.

2 Likes

Not good. I can tell when I’m acting weird and other people notice, and it makes me even more awkward.

I mask well around people that I am not around for more than 8 hours. Then I’ll slip

1 Like

I’m like you, I have terrible shake’s from the meds. I can mask all the other effects.

1 Like

Pretty good. No one has ever pegged me as mentally ill.

1 Like

If I are psychotic enough it’s nearly impossible to hide it. I used to hide most of the other symptoms to the point no one believed I had it.

I used to be a registered nurse and I worked in acute care nursing, in hospitals, on medical/surgical, telemetry, pulmonary, and ICU units among many others. All the while being unmedicated and acutely suicidal, paranoid, psychotic, and/or manic. Yes, I was an expert at hiding my symptoms.

1 Like

Im good at masking my symptoms simply because when im unwell i hibernate and will disappear for weeks at a time.

Ive had the police do welfare checks before cos ive just gone. Favourite trick is book into a premier inn for a week and not be seen.

I think I can appear relatively normal even if inside a lot is going on. My face doesn’t really express the symptoms I’m having. I think for the most part I keep a calm exterior even if I’m freaking out inside. Not always though.

1 Like

Im good at masking my symptoms. The trouble is, that people cant understand why i can’t work, or why i sometimes appear aloof or distracted, and i cant tell them it’s because i am trying to hide my own inner despair or awkwardness in social situations.

4 Likes

I hear you. Unfortunatly most normies dont realise we are having a constant inner battle to maintain composure in social situations.

If i had a pound for every time someone said “are you alright?” in the pub i would be a rich man. Trouble is - you start to worry more - cos youve been found out - and its showing on your face lol.

Pure bloody paranoia - i know it, but not being able to drink makes it harder. Cos i know damn well, if i sunk a couple of scotches - i wouldnt give a toss.

3 Likes

I’m great at making depression. Anxiety and psychosis or flashbacks? Not so much. People usually look at me with wide eyes. It makes it worse.

Anyone else?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.