Here is an example of a dude that was kicked off disability with schizophrenia

here is the example

i think his problem is that he didn’t really think deeply about how his disability limits him in daily life. you can’t say you have no limitations in your physical life when you are sometimes psychotic and such… otherwise they will assume u r not disabled and kick u off. he also made the mistake or had the limitation of being unable to articulate his limitations, why he was disabled.

what are your thoughts?

do you feel at risk of losing benefits?

do you think those with schizo should feel at risk of losing benefits? how common is it that a schizo should feel at risk?

3 Likes

I don’t know…
My disability leaves me in bed weeks at a time, unable to get up and do normal things like work a job, hold conversation, shower
However it’s not always like that —
I can function perfectly most of my time, like cleaning and eating, laundry, maintaining a relationship …
It’s like a cycle in and out of depression
I don’t worry about losing benefits because I truly need them…

3 Likes

My mom, who has been on disability for years due to an incurable bladder disease, says disability isn’t about your ability to work at any given moment, but rather your ability to work consistently. Like you might end up needing a personal day every week and most jobs won’t allow that.

2 Likes

I lost disability and I have schizophrenia.

That said, I agree with the decision in my case. I can definitely work. I choose not to.

3 Likes

sounds like u must be as high functioning as they come, then?

The system in both the UK and USA is deliberately set up to ensure as many people fail as possible.

That’s what they tell me. I personally hate the term. I function great in some areas, and horribly in others. I think dividing people into high and low functioning only serves to divide us, and make the low functioning people feel like they can never get to high functioning levels. I used to be homeless, with no friends or family. With lots of medication and therapy, I now have a good life I like. I think anyone can recover to the levels I have if they keep trying and have access to the right resources. Unfortunately, most schizophrenics are given the bare minimum to make them shut up and then told to deal with all the side effects and breakthrough symptoms without support.

7 Likes

People ask how I managed to recover. Easy. I had access to resources. My insurance covered the best medication for me. I was able to get cognitive rehabilitation, through a study I signed up for. I was educated about mental health already because of my job, so I knew going into it what meds I never wanted to try. I came on here and learned which supplements help, and then I had the funds to buy them. I kept trying new things to see if I could get better than I was, and I have never accepted any level as “good enough to stop trying.”

8 Likes

The disability pension is one of the best things to ever happen to me.:two_hearts:

It helps me so much.

I have difficulties socially and also with work tasks etc and the stress of work is not good for me.

It can trigger stress and psychosis.

A employment agency asked me to do a house keeping course and I wasn’t well enough and suffered and went psychotic and was hospitalised.

I should of said no to them but then I would have lost my centrelink money so I did it even though I felt I couldn’t.

I hope I never lose my pension.

I can’t afford a lawyer but I would ask my family to help me fight to keep my pension.

Someone in my family is a dr and they think I should be on the pension and just volunteer work as much as I want.

3 Likes

How did you get kicked off?

I was at an evaluation and the psychiatrist interviewing me declared me able to work.

2 Likes

But how would the psychiatrist know if your able to work?

Maybe because you worked after having schizophrenia.

1 Like

If you held a job long enough after having sz that means that you can work.

1 Like

I chose to go off of SSDI but I still get my VA disability. The VA rated me permanently and totally disabled. I will never get re-evaluated probably.

3 Likes

Poor guy!!!

I have difficulties articulating and explaining too so I understand that’s frustrating.

I would be a mess if I was him yet he comes across as pretty calm.

1 Like

She was interviewing me to assess my ability to work on behalf of my disability insurance.

1 Like

Very scary. I don’t see myself being able to pass as being disabled. I can say my issues but I come across as very able for someone in the AS spectrum and Sz spectrum.

I don’t intend to be on disability support but I can see it happening if things become difficult at home. Which often happens… In a way. I’d rather be on my own without the family I have but then I’d be doomed because they are also in a roundabout way the very people that somehow sustain me; even if it feels or seems in a negative way to sustain someone.

What sort of stuff did she ask you during the interview?