Herb Thread

I’m schizoaffective and I can’t use antidepressants or mood stabilizers. So I’ve been taking Bacopa, Ashwagandha, and Gotu Kola. It’s really been helping my mood. They really don’t help or hurt my schizophrenia. They could be dangerous. Who knows. There may be a risk. They work for me.

I told my doctor I was on them and he didn’t say it was a good thing or a bad thing.

5 Likes

I see, you have tried a lot of meds, herbs, supplements to obtain good health. You really have gone through a lot. Hope you have good luck with these herb treatments.

1 Like

Thanks @green5. A lot of people have issues with it. I guess I like confrontation.

1 Like

Why not ? Have you tried them all ?

1 Like

I tried about 5 different antidepressants about a decade ago. Had a really bad experience. Then about 5 years ago I was put on an antidepressant in a psych ward and I was looking for stuff to jump of and trying to eat sharp things.

The mood stabilizers are screwing up my liver. So I had to quit.

My mood is the best it’s ever been though. I couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

Kratom helps me with the paranoia/delusions and I’ve seen a study showing possible antipsychotic properties but more research is needed

1 Like

Indiana is one of the four states where kratom is illegal. I’ve never tried it, but all the hype makes me want to drive to ohio to check it out

Well given that they are part of TCM and Aruyvedic medicine and millions of people have been taking them for centuries it is highly likely they would be dangerous and would certainly have a safety profile far better than a lot of medications that have passed Phase 2 trials (given the limited sample size and timeframes).
I have all three of these as part of my daily stack. Good for you in not giving up and trying different things to improve yourself. Did you ever get around to trying Rhodiola Rosa btw ?

2 Likes

May i ask why you cant use mood stabalizers?

Nvm i saw why

I am in Australia and got a mate in the States to send me some.
From Wiki …“Kratom contains a number of active
components, so-called alkaloids, of which mitragynine is believed to be
responsible for most of its effects. Mitragynine is an opioid agonist, meaning that it has an affinity for the opioid receptors in your brain”

So essentially its an opioid and has some pain killing properties. Personally i didnt find it to be super effective in helping mitigate my delusions but did kinda chill me out. May need to trial it again as there are different strains that have different psychoactive properties.
Definitely worth a shot though -you never know whats going to help you imo.
For example I do find some pain killers ( Tylnol) help with delusions - also antibiotics ( doxycycline and minocycline) and NSAIDs (Diclofenic Sodium) - I think there is a link with the immune system and sz not to mention the endocannabinoid system.

@green5 have you tried any TCM for either positive or negative effects of sz?

No, I haven’t even heard of it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

TCM = Traditional Chinese Medicine or 中医.

Oh, I see now. Thank you @anon35453467

No, I haven’t tried anything from TCM for the treatment of Sz. @unaventures

1 Like

Ah yes. I think it takes about four weeks! Its the free postage! I tend to order many samples ( they are so cheap generally a couple of bucks) and then forget about them and weeks later its kinda like opening chrissie pressies wondering what they are …lol. Be interested in your review when you get it.

1 Like

Thanks. I am surprised. Are you in contact with other Chinese sz people who may know?

TCM is known worldwide for its very effective treatments unfortunately it is very hard to work your way through all the remedies - though that is changing fast thankfully.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.