Herb Thread

anybody ever tried saw palmetto…specifically saw palmetto tea…I was shocked at strong it is…way stronger than coffee, 2 or 3 cups gave me chest palpitations…anyways it’s recommended for enlarged prostate and delaying mail patterned hair loss.

it grows in florida and Carolina…im thinking about giving the tea (containing berries) another run, it was strong stuff

anyways that is all

1 Like

I don’t really like Rhodiola. My muscles started twitching and I felt really depressed. It just makes me appreciate Bacopa, Ashwagandha, and Gotu Kola even more. @unaventures

1 Like

Interesting. Maybe its not for you. It does take a little while to get metabolized.

How much did you take and did you take it with anything else?

From Examine

Rhodiola rosea is slightly stimulatory, although not classically stimulatory like caffeine. Rhodiola rosea is known to inhibit the CYP3A4 enzyme in vitro at concentrations which likely occur to oral ingestion

also

Rhodiola has been reported to reduce the side-effect profile of
tricyclic antidepressants when taken alongside the TCA pharmaceutical

Microsdose

My modus operandi with ANYTHING new is to microdose - like if the standard /recommended dose is 200mg I would take like 20mg…maybe a tiny dab just so I know I am not allergic to it or anything. That way you avoid any untoward reaction like muscle twitching etc. Once I know I am not overly sensitive to the herb or vitamin I gradually titrate up.

Half Life

Also the half life is around an hour so you may feel its positive effects a bit later.

1 Like

I took just one scoop. I took the Rhodiola by itself a couple hours I took after I took my normal supplements. It feels like it’s a combination of St. Johns Wort and L Theanine.

1 Like

Well I am not sure how big is that scoop but I am assuming it would be one serving which is generally 500mg. I wouldnt take that much first off. I would literally take a tiny dab like 20 - 50mg…like a taste test and give it 15 - 20 mins.

Anyway sounds like you have tasted it … never thought of it being like a mixture of SJW and L -Theanine but you may be right…lol.

How long ago did you try it ?

1 Like

I started it yesterday.

1 Like

INHIBITORS - CYTOCHROME P450 (CYP) ENZYMES DRUG TABLE

Here’s a interesting info sheet posted in another thread.
Useful reference check though it doesn’t have a lot of the herbals (eg Rhodiola) so further research (and MICRODOSES :slight_smile: ) is always prudent.

At any rate its good to know - Thanks @vector_hector! :slight_smile:

https://www.ebmconsult.com/content/pages/medications-herbs-cytochrome-p450-cyp-enzyme-inhibitors