He tells me I'm not being "preyed" on, until I read his texts

I think that you should give your husband extra kisses and extra love. This is hard for him. I know this because my parents do this about C. My Mom really loves me, but we just can’t say more than ten words to each other without getting into a fight. She jumps straight into super Mom mode when I get sicker (get a dip into depression or have sort of an episode).

But she and Dad hate C. They say that he is using me. He doesn’t have a job and doesn’t seem interested in getting one. He runs his own ebay story and was actually making a reasonable amount of money till the recession. I think that he supports himself more than I or my parents realize but his parents still pay most of his bills.

It really bothers me and makes me worry sometimes because I know that I am particularly vulnerable because I am ill. Whenever someone says I am doing something wrong or I thinks something that isn’t right- logically, morally, whatever. I think about it. I don’t just dismiss people as “haters” or say they know nothing about me. My parents don’t know much about me because every time I tell my Mom something I regret it later, somehow. I could tell her my favorite color and that would turn out to be a mistake. However, they are my parents so I worry sometimes. But when he drove up to my school (repeatedly) and slept in his car so that he could take me to my doctor the next day it dulls their point.

So just be sure to give him some extra loving. Having your parents talk crud about the love of your life isn’t fun.

Stay with your mom for a few days. You could use a safe environment to focus on what is important to you. Its hard to do that when you are under constant fire and stuck in self defense mode, and the fresh perspective when you return will let you see the situation less biased.

Shame when the people in our lives create problems when there really is no need for it, but, if you think about it, it does serve a purpose for your MIL, she is getting attention from her son-at your expense, so she isn’t forgotten.

One way to disarm her is to remain neutral. Don’t argue with her, or try to prove anything to your husband that he can see himself. Focus your time and energy on being the best you can be. Let your actions and words prove yourself to be true.
Nothing makes a person look more foolish than when they insist on what they say is the truth, rather than what others can see with their own two eyes.