Have you ever been abused?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Yes. By a family and my older brother.

2 Likes

My ex wife emotionally and physically abused me.

3 Likes

Yes - by a drug gang that also selled sex to people. They were basically pimping out kids to peadophiles

I’m glad you got out of it. It took courage. My oldest brother, not the one who hurt me, is going through a terrible divorce. She is in a terrible spiral and she refuse to admit she did wrong.

1 Like

Thanks @anon78876561

1 Like

You are welcome. Here is a hug. :hugs:

2 Likes

Emotional abuse by my family and spiritual abuse in the form of humiliation by church members.

1 Like

There are things about my life that I think people really should answer for.

1 Like

Yes, by my family and my now ex friends. My in laws tried it, but I found ways to defend myself from them. I guess I learned to set boundaries even though I was sick.

1 Like

Yes, by a cousin and then by my ex.

1 Like

I think the word abused needs a definition, so I’m not voting. Some people use that word for the silliest things. Also, does intent factor in here?

2 Likes

What’s so silly about being forced to wash dinner dishes before I could go out and play football with my friends?

2 Likes

Physical and emotional abuse at school by educators and classmates. Ended up with a scar.

1 Like

We are running into this with Starlet. He knows he was abused by now, but doesn’t know exactly which aspects of his former life were abuse and which were normal parenting choices. So sometimes he will think being locked in his room for a week is a regular punishment and sometimes he will think being forced to clean up after the cat was abusive. I think for a lot of people, they know a line was crossed, but they don’t know exactly where it was because everything was normalized for them.

8 Likes

Yes. By the husband of my spouse’s sister. It was physical abuse.

1 Like

I find this hard as well…

Im highly confused as to what is normal and what not. I have started to sort this out a bit…but still often fail.

For ages i thought i wasnt abused, my childhood was perfect. While some pretty weird things happened (e.g. violent sexual acts).

Someone could also act just slightly domineering though and i fear it is a sign they are abusive. :confounded:

There are also things i doubt about…especially emotional abuse versus normal fights. Where is the line?

2 Likes

Do u guys think that paranoia has something to do with being abused or its not related?

2 Likes

I think it surely is related. I saw it in many clients and also myself. It is kind of normal to not trust people if you had many experiences with people who couldnt be trusted.

I also noticed the opposite in me and others though: being overly trusting with no foundation for it. Trusting people who are clearly not to be trusted.

1 Like

I don’t think I was abused because I can’t remember so. Anyways, stress, trauma and abuse were not shown to be a significant cause of SZ. Wikipedia says it has a slight effect on SZ and that SZ is 80% genetic:

“Estimates of the heritability of schizophrenia are around 80%, which implies that 80% of the individual differences in risk to schizophrenia is associated with genetics.”

“Environmental factors are associated with a slight risk of developing schizophrenia.”

Source: Wikipedia, Schizophrenia

3 Likes