Have citrus fruits given you a bad reaction? (A Poll)

Have citrus fruits reacted with your meds?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If yes, which fruits have you reacted to?

• Orange
  • Lemon
  • Lime
  • Kiwi
  • Grapefruit
  • Bergamot (often included in black tea)
  • Other

0 voters

You may not have tried all. Like I have never eaten grapefruit after I started meds as it is red flagged.

I only know grapefruit can give a bad response (and ignored that, never really thought about it). What kind of response could one expect?

3 Likes

I did drink grapefruit juice for a while and I didn’t notice any interaction with my med. I knew it could interfere with abilify absorption in the digestive tract, but that didn’t seem to be the case.

2 Likes

I think this may be med dependent as well. I’m on olanzapine and the ones I react to make me confused and out of sorts and give a uncomfortable feeling in the brain. Last time I drank orange juice I walked a red light while cars were coming. And similar things have happened before when I have had a citrus fruit I react to.

1 Like

Wow! That’s bad. I have never paid attention to it. If I’m ever restarting meds, I’ll monitor it more closely, and maybe avoid.

1 Like

It took me a while to figure it out. At first I just thought it was coincidental, but then something happened. I think I switched from orange juice to pineapple juice and suddenly things felt much better. I mostly remember not to drink orange juice, but there’s been a couple of times I forgot and then I am reminded about what it does to me.

1 Like

I’m not supposed to eat grapefruit on my cholesterol medicine

2 Likes

Wow. I thought this would be a common problem. But I see I am the only one voting yes so far. Surprised.

Could also be that we never made the connection. I’ve felt bad in all sorts of ways a billion times the last ten years. Perhaps a few or even a lot of these billion times were connected to me just drinking orange juice before, but I never thought of that. I’m happy you talked about this. Would it ever be necessary, I’ll be a bit more alert to it.

1 Like

I didn’t realise other citrus fruits could cause a reaction. I eat a lot of orange marmalade

1 Like

Well it does in me. But it probably depends. Not everyone gets the same reaction I suppose. And also what type of AP you take probably plays a big part.

2 Likes

I changed my vote since I can’t eat grapefruit anymore. I never had a reaction because I was warned not to eat it.

1 Like

I voted “yes” for grapefruit, but I haven’t actually had any grapefruit or grapefruit juice since being on AP’s. It interacts with my meds, so I avoid it.

I’ve had the other foods listed and did not have any issues.

1 Like

Banana and cran erries juice gives me bad vibes. I cant eat them.

Your not suppose to eat the grapefruit in whole with the skin. You peel the skin off (white skin off).

1 Like

I put lemon and lime oil in my water. I love it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.