Schizophrenia.com

Has anybody else here, ever wanted to be in a long term hospital for awhile?

the thought comes and goes for me. in march, i am going to ask my pdoc if it is common for patients to want to be institutionalized? part of me just wants to escape life for at least a year. and then again forever whenever my parents die and im all alone.

2 Likes

No, not me. I think you might change your mind once you get there, but maybe I’m wrong.

5 Likes

yeah, i suppose i could always get out if i wanted and was well.

1 Like

I was in a hospital for 8 months. Not a place I would want to live.
A couple people had been there since it opened, ten years before. They always struck me as shadows or caricatures of the people they once were. They were probably nice enough people but living there really took it out of them. This was 1982, I drove past that hospital several times about a year ago and they may still be there.

2 Likes

Everyone wants an escape if there not content. I don’t desire that escape but maybe I dream of lottery winnings and just relaxing in a nice house with soundproof rooms so I can jam my music :blush:

Maybe your just not satisfied with your living situation and are looking to escape to easier pastures of responsibility

2 Likes

The thought comes and goes for me as well. But like @Bowens said once you were actually there, the novelty could wear off quickly.

2 Likes

No way not a hospital.
Maybe a senior community or assisted living but not a psych hospital.

My last stay in a psych hospital was horrific!

6 Likes

It depends on the hospital. If it was a place meant for long term stays where they offered things like art therapy and recreational activities along with groups and access to books and things, I could see myself wanting to escape there for a few months at least. I often miss the lack of responsibility that comes with being hospitalized. But I wouldn’t want to be in the local hospital for now than a few weeks.

1 Like

No, I want my freedom and talking to friends and playing videogames with them.

4 Likes

Also living with my parents and brothers. I will miss them.

2 Likes

I hate the psych ward so no way.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got discharged because I told my pdoc that the hospital felt more like home than home did

2 Likes

I agree with Aziz I would miss my computer games and my Mom

2 Likes

No, I’m bored out of my skull after the first week. Of course we didn’t have WiFi or Netflix in the hospital the last time I was in one. There was one TV and the gaggle of neurotic women had control of it.

1 Like

I was in a hospital in Vancouver Canada for 3 months. I understand wanting to go back there for a while. The whole process I found to be very therapeutic and informative. Not to mention no responsibility, interesting people. and I loved having 3 good meals prepared for me daily.

2 Likes

Me too! Were you in Segal?

1 Like

I was in a hospital for 18 months straight, and I was transferred there after being in another hospital for 4 months. I often think about going back and getting away from all of my responsibilities. But then I think about how well I’m doing in life currently and how I’d lose it all if I were gone for that long again.

2 Likes

Only if I was the only one in it.

2 Likes

The boredom was maddening. So was the non-stop screaming, fighting and arguing.

1 Like

I used to want to live in a hospital like setting because I felt I would be safer there.

But I’m generally a lot more happier these days and I value my independence.

Maybe you’re just a little unhappy these days?

2 Likes