Guns and the mentally ill

Most of the homes in my neck of the woods have guns. If someone breaks into a home when the owner is home, he better have a gun with him. If it were to happen to me I will tried to defend myself. The life lost may be mine. But I will not go down with out a fight. When someone breaks into a home here they do it when the owner is away.
That being said there is a very low crime rate here. I have lived here for over 30 years and never had a problem.
Can’t say the same for the people that have weekend cabins. None of this really matters because my dogs keep any unwanted guess away.
One other thing there was a house up river from me. Two guys not from here came to burglarize it. The home owner was asleep on the couch. They shot him through the window. So there is crime here. You never know who comes down to enjoy the river. My dogs let me know if anybody come up my driveway. I don’t shoot through the door like some people in this country. Last year after midnight when I was asleep. I had a raccoon hunter come to my door. He and his friend were stuck in the creek where the road cross it. Flash flood has deposit gravel on the concrete slab crossing the creek. Instead of shooting him I pull them and there dogs out of the creek and told them how to go the long way to get out. So now you know I’m not trigger happy.

P.S. The murder up river from me happen in April 2012 That was the last murder in the county.

From the country Ridgerunner

1 Like

I don’t like guns, but i’ve heard that in my state they are trying to pass legislation that new gun owners have to pass safety tests before getting a license. My thoughts are that won’t stop the violence people will still get guns illegally here and go around shooting each other.

here’s where i guess i am no humanist, but you know, i see it as a difference of opinion, if a guy breaks into your house to kill you, and you don’t want to die, how do you know who is right? honestly? the tv news will go on unanimously blaming some school shooter, when honeslty, how do we know what he did wasn’t right? he sure seemed convinced it was. i don’t see humanity as sacred in any way, and i only see difference of opinion, one wants the person dead, one wants the person alive, who’s right, how should i know?

if you are so sure you have to live that anyone trying to destroy you must die, then i have to wonder where you get that bizzarre irrationality from, probably inherited it from the humans they all seem to cultivate that, ugly species, but ok, so lets say you are so confident you have to live that you decided it’s right to destroy any other number of people who are trying to prevent you from living, and this without even getting to know these people to see if they are honestly not better replacements for you, yeah you wouldn’t know it if they were cause you practice eudaemonism, think everything that’s right is based on what’s comfortable.

well look, the end of your silly world is just about here. comfort is over.
you get to be like that when it’s a small bunch of like minded humans.
you are now living in a multiideational world, the demons are running it,
your comfort will be used against you in a court of demonic law,

your’re gonna have to get used to living with people who don’t believe in your right to exist.
as i don’t , for one.

we will proceed to destroy eachother i guess, and i sure hope we succeed totally!!!

Anyone who breaks into my house to do me harm is the one who is wrong.
You want me dead? If you think you’re so right then do it out on the public street, not in the comfort of my own home, and yes, the comfort of my own home is not where I’d have a problem taking your head off, if you have no business inside, I don’t care what your lineage is, or was, when you cross the line onto my property.

It will come close.

If he didn’t stop it there would be no one left.

And then a new age begins, different leadership, people will miss the demonic leadership actually, they’ll say something like “but im greedy, sharing is evil!” “But i thrive off of war, peace is evil!”

Or perhaps “why do we all have what we need, this is bullshyte?!”

I just can’t begin to imagine how insane it’s really gonna be having human beings ruled by beings of love, how crazy it will be. No bombs blowing you in half but you won’t like it, ha!

I suppose the question here is should EVERYONE have gun?
alcoholics would be a bad match with firearms as would psycopaths,
maybe having extensive tests on people before they are allowed to buy one?
and is hunting things legal in your country what about the spca? whats their take on that?

Unfortunately for all, in the u.s.a. We assume one should have common sense and know when to use it when it comes to using lethal force against another human being.
I say If you don’t, can’t, or won’t use use a gun responsibly, then don’t buy one, but unless you can protect me from harm, then don’t take my right away to protect myself.
If you don’t mind dying on the whim of an idiot out of control then whatever makes you happy.
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

1 Like

the shame is that no real valididy is given to the point of view of the “idiot out of control”,
only outside of human control he may be firmly under demon control,
controlled by demons that may have a much better understanding of who should be alive and who should be dead,
who is a sacrifice and who is the beneficiary of that sacrifice.

myself i’m not upset with anyone enough to pursue killing them, certainly not you guys on the site,
just saying that if someone broke into your house, especially an idiot out of control,
then i honesly don’t know which one to root for, if one of you is definitely gonna kill the other one.

i get arrested by cops all the time, they pull the guns they pull the tasers, me with my hands in my pocket they get frightened,

i tell them the same thing, you guys are gonna have to learn how to sacrifice yourself, not be so quick to protect yourself when you don’t understand the situation.

they never listen

not my problem

1 Like

I’ve been chased inside my house by the police with guns drawn on me, four of them, scared because I wouldn’t take my hands out of my pockets. If they would have shot me, I wouldn’t have cared.

From what I’ve heard that’s exactly how eastern martial arts and martial art weapons came into being. Traditional weapons were outlawed and so people improvised.

I know that my owning a gun would be a bad idea but it still bothers me that I’ll never be allowed to own one. If you’ve been involuntarily committed then you’re done, no guns for you regardless of why you were put in or the result of that stay. You can petition the court to get your rights back but I’d imagine that would be difficult and expensive.

The only reason I’d want a gun is to hunt with my brother. I suppose that he could get one that I could use while we hunt. I took a hunter’s safety course when I was a kid and so I wouldn’t need a gun other than when we’re actually in the woods. Every year around this time I think about hunting, usually too late to go and then I forget till next year.

You’re doing fine. I like your posts, you write honestly and openly in every post you make and that’s refreshing.

2 Likes

I don’t like guns and don’t own one, never will. But I think I should be allowed the same rights as anyone else regardless of being mentally ill. Its a slippery slope when you start taking rights away. It could lead to junk like not being able to get your license.

I like bows better. And targets. Don’t like shooting at living things. Probably could if I had to as a matter of self-defence, but I hope I never find myself there.

10-96

i agree.

though i admit i have no business owning a gun OR driving a vehicle. and i lack the licensing (and licensing possibility) to do either.

Say a store owner had a diagnosed mental illness and a criminal walked in with a gun pointed at him and asked him to empty out the cash register. Or what if a single father was diagnosed with depression, and someone tried to rob him or take his children. Would you rather have had been able to defend yourself? I think guns are ok for self defense in the worst situations. Places where guns are outlawed are statistically less safe from murder and robberies, and it leaves families defenseless. Your only defense line in the police or alarm systems. But if you are black you are less likely to trust the police and if you are poor you have less of a chance of installing a security system other than bars on the windows etc.

Cops carry weapons for self-defense, to defend the victims and population from harm, and are authorized to use them if a true threat occurs. Often times the threat is exaggerated and suspects become victims, even of petty theft if the suspect panics and flees, pulls out a cellphone or tries attack someone. If they have a mental illness and are not using any deadly weapons, then I would say the police force should use methods to calm and isolate the person. If a person is drunk or disorderly then that warrants hospitalization. But if they are someone who is psychotic and off medication, a night in jail isn’t going to fix them it will just aggravate them until they get their medicine and feel safe.

Maybe the question we should be asking instead is, how messed up is it that cops can get away with so many fatalities on the mentally ill? Should cops have guns or bring weapons if they are addressing a person with a mental illness? I would think it would be more wise for a police man not to bring a deadly weapon wen handling a case of someone acting off from a psychotic disorder. The guns being in their hands causes them to act impulsively as if it were a criminal. The issue is not of crime, it’s of general safety. I think a different task force should be used to address people in states of crisis. There should be crisis teams for people in crisis and police officers for people who are breaking the law, or to handle situations of public safety.

I don’t think the laws are too strict right now, and I don’t like guns either. I’m a pacifist. It’s just that a lot of people with diagnoses are victims of crime, and to treat someone with a mental illness like a criminal makes many of them fulfill that mistake. I also think that if a person comes to the ER or somewhere with hostile or crazy thoughts that many of them do get turned away due to insurance or other reasons. My mom was barefoot walking the streets of the city when she had one of her severe episodes, and the hospital turned her away due to lack of beds. The system itself cannot boast security if people aren’t secure or being helped.

We have good cops an bad cops but overall it seems our capitalist system doesn’t regulate crime enough in the interest of the general population. People just seem selfish and to scapegoat an entire group of people with these generalized conditions is stupid and hypocritical.

The whole system needs to be scrutinized to minimize public risk. Why have all these shootings started happening?

The media has generalized a lot of these mass shootings by scapegoating a mental illness that is still misunderstood scientifically, but who has noticed that the majority of the shootings occurred from veterans and extremists. It almost seemed like a direct threat to America, almost as if a terrorist organization or cult infiltrating the population, a virus of evil.

Were these killers trying to make some kind of warped political attack? I also noticed that none of them were liberals. More like the type to be inducted into a cult. Someone mentioned that in Connecticut there is a cult.

I really don’t know what to add to this, I mean there are guns in our house. I don’t own them but we live on a farm…just how it is I guess.

There’s days when I won’t pick up keys to drive let alone think of using a gun.

I don’t think having a gun makes you prone to committing a violent crime ill or not. I could just get some concrete hammers at a tool store and run around beating peoples heads in.

I think our gun rights are threatened as americans. But as many of you already said on the forum maybe we need to change our approach a bit.

(Even though America is the largest, most successful arms dealer in the world).

That’s a real quandary to me…arm the world and don’t arm your own citizens except the ones you pay to control the masses…

Sounds like pig headed, tom thuggery to me.

Has anyone here ever held or shot a firearm before becoming ill?

I’m a vet, my first time shooting was when I was seven years old.