German sentiment to Jews

That girl I have a crush on is German, I’m Jewish …I know she’s not anti semetic , but it made me ponder, what was the German American sentiment towards Jews during world war 2? Chances are her family was in the military fighting the nazis, like my Jewish grandfather was…but was there a German uprising during ww2 of nazism? I know there’s extremists, even still, like the neo nazis, but for the most part were German Americans on the side of Americans or hitler? After all, German is the most common heritage in the USA. I googled it and get mixed opinions. I think of most Germans as very reformed these days, from the hitler period, but what about back then…in America.

No worries…Hitler was ■■■■■■■ up and the people were powerless…it was a diff time look ahead moon child…

3 Likes

This is why there is no peace in the middle east…no one can let it go…lol frozen…they act like the greatest story has already been told now let’s fight over the rubble…the should look ahead towards their grandkids world…do they really want blood on their children’s hands…inherited a war they don’t care for…

3 Likes

True, besides she’s a redhead, not blonde like hitler wanted. Fucjin hitler. He wanted everyone to have blue eyes, blonde hair most Jews have blue eyes…some have blonde hair too…hitler was Jewish himself

1 Like

She’s not German, she has German ancestors. There’s a difference. A German person either lives in or comes from Germany. I don’t like it when Americans refer to themselves as Italian, German or whatever when they only have ancestors who were of that nationality.

Also, I hope you won’t judge her for what her ancestors might have done or thought.

1 Like

Re read the post

I’m interested in the history of German Americans during world war 2, was looking for a history lesson , definitely not judging her

And how else would Americans fight over ■■■■, if we didn’t identify by our heritages

I’m 6 different heritages

Honestly I find it inaccurate and slightly offensive when you refer to yourselves as Italian/German/whatever. You are Americans and sharing some genes with someone who long ago lived in that country does not make it your nationality.

And many Americans were sympathetic with the nazis, just like many Europeans outside of Germany were. It spanned all nationalities.

Well there used to be Irish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, black, Hispanic, Jewish neighborhoods

This still exists today

I think that’s why we identify so much with our heritages…my parents were told “you can’t move to that town because of your last name”. That wasn’t too long ago. I think that’s why we identify so much.

Italians have the most pride of any European background it seems, my state has the highest rate of Italian Americans in America, and everyone wants to tell you about it.

Maybe one day we’ll become so mixed, we won’t be able to trace it back anymore and it will become obsolete.

Many Australians do it too, so do Canadians

I’m a quarter German. I’m as much German as I am anything else. I really feel more connected with my Scotch Irish heritage - the Calvinist Presbyterian heritage. It seems that where I live when people talk about their heritage a lot of them have German ancestry. I don’t feel particularly German, though. I was watching a historically accurate depiction of an airborne unit in World War II, and in this depiction one of the Germans they captured and held prisoner came from the U.S. I guess his family felt closer to their German heritage than their American heritage. I don’t know how common this was. I doubt if a significant number of Americans with German ancestry fought for Germany.

1 Like

Thanks you are always very insightful And full of knowledge crimby

I don’t think those are good reasons to misuse words referring to nationality as only referring to ancestry. You may think you have a lot in common with those cultures, but you probably have so much more in common with American culture. Maybe some find it flattering when you Americans refer to yourselves as of our nationality when you’re not, but I don’t. I don’t want my cultural identity reduced to a matter of genes and washed down subcultural similarities.

1 Like

You know just being human makes us all similar…I agree its annoying when Americans say their whatever despite the fact a lot of them have forgotten the names of those who made the trip…so I agree and disagree with you…

2 Likes

I agree, of course, that we have more in common with each other than we’re different. And I know they’re not trying to be offensive. But it’s very annoying.

1 Like

Then we agree lol…saying ur american feels weird though…were a baby country lacking in history…and older countries have that mystery I guess…I can’t justify it either lol…

1 Like

Really, it should be Irish-American, Italian-American, etc, but in conversations between Americans, the American gets dropped because it is given.

It’s a good point to be conscious that this means one thing amongst Americans but another entirely in a global conversation.

As Jon was getting at, there are certain communities in the US that have been traditionally “othered” - Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, Polish-Americans, Asian-Americans, etc. It goes back to the theory and history of “whiteness” in America: these groups traditionally weren’t “white” (as a construct, as opposed to a skin color), though many of them are now.

America is unpleasantly complicated about these things.

3 Likes

there were plenty of germans who resisted as there were also german jews - Eistein was a german jew who came to america to get away from his friends that were using science into weapons.

But they were the minority, most germany supported the regime. today you have some that still believe in the nazi premise and some that don’t and some that do but say they don’t.

My family has jewish history so may be a little biased as our family were forced to change our name to a german spelling and fled to canada then to america.

1 Like

it si a difference of opinion on that - My family has only been in America for 3 generations. I was not born here by choice but by neccessity. My heritage is my family and my ancestry. I know all the name of my family going back to the 1500’s thanks to my family keeping very good records. It was passed down along with our stories. So do I consider myself an American because that was the land my ancestors were forced to come to - no. I am American only because that is where I currently reside.

I used to live in Korea that did not make me Korean, I used to live in Germany and Italy but I was neither. Tbh I am a Mutt - my family on both sides before coming to America lived in France and were Jews. Once here because America is a home of many cultures and heritages there was interbreeding of such. My grandmom was the first to be born on American soil but both her parents were immigrants from France. She married an Irish immigrant both his parents were from Ireland.
My mom was French/Irish. She in turn married an American who also had mixed heritage of Irish and Seminole Indian. So what am I?

A mutt - a mix of all the above but I live in America currently.

I would gladly move back to France as I have family there that I have only seen by pictures or internet vid chat but yet I cannot afford to do so.

1 Like

Neither German Americans nor Japanese Americans were treated well during ww2.

I agree - it is because of how America was founded - it was a respite for those unfortunate, untrodden who most times had no where to go. They call it the land of the free because many people escaped where they were looking for better chance to survive - so now America is a mutt pitt - with no singular lineage.