Frozen food is so boring...I want to cook but can't afford it

Every time I start to add up the costs of cooking something like goulash (Dr. Zen cooked that) it ends up costing like $30…too much money to make it worthy of my wallet…any ideas (no bean recipes please) that I could cook that doesn’t cost too much?

I cooked jambalaya for a party the other day. It fed like 6 people but it still cost 60$. jeez

1 Like

wow, that is my favorite thing to cook besides gumbo…yes it costs a lot to make jambalaya…good for you though…lucky !!

What’s your budget?

1 Like

You could make various pasta dishes.
Pasta is inexpensive.

1 Like

@Wave by the time I add hamburger and vegetables to pasta it’s too expensive…? that’s why I can’t eat goulash darnit…screw it I just might do it anyways…I really want goulash.

@LED around fifteen dollars…

1 Like

Do you like cod or tuna?

@CoCo burnt out on tuna and we eat salmon patties all the time…no fish please…

1 Like

For reference, here’s my dinners this week.

Monday: chili, with broccoli and tortilla chips. 1 lb ground beef ($5) 4 cans diced tomatoes ($2-$3) broccoli slaw mix ($2) tortilla chips ($2) serves 6-8 depending on portion.

Tuesday: hamburgers and asparagus. Large bag of frozen patties ($12/15ish patties) hamburger buns ($1) asparagus ($3)

Wednesday: shredded chicken taco bowls. Shredded chicken thighs ($2/lb, I usually buy 3lbs and freeze in portions) bag of shredded lettuce ($1) tomato ($2) avocado ($1) salsa ($2) shredded cheese ($2)

Thursday: naan bread pizzas. 2 pack naan ($3) pizza sauce ($1) shredded cheese ($2) pepperoni from the deli .25 lbs ($1)

Friday: steak and salad. Steak ($6) salad ($2)

Saturday: grilled cheese and tomato soup. Bread ($2) cheese (use shredded from earlier in the week) tomato soup ($3)

2 Likes

For the week? Or per day?

wow @LED that is very reasonable…I guess I could make hamburgers…$15 for the meal I want to cook…

1 Like

Oh wow, yeah, you could definitely do that. I cook everything, we never do frozen meals, and for the 3 of us I never spend more than $100/week. My partner doesn’t eat breakfast, but they drink a lot of soda, so it evens out.

1 Like

I can post some of my old menus if you’re interested.

1 Like

@LED, food costs less where you are. That must be nice!

Depends where we shop. I only shop at discount grocery stores. It’s a lot more expensive here than in Indiana.

1 Like

There’s an Aldi near me, but it’s in a bad area. My husband doesn’t want me to go there. I wonder how much I’d save. I try to make dinner for $10 or less. Often, it’ll be 20 but will last 2 nights

Yeah, if I avoided “bad neighborhoods” I’d never go anywhere.

1 Like

These might have some suggestions .

There was a show on british tv where pretty good chefs made a group of critics fancy meals. Little do the critics know that most of the food came from tins and cost relatively less. The critics, kept in the dark, rave about the food

2 Likes

@LED thanks for the offer…you don’t have to do that…I appreciate all the help you’ve given me…

thanks everyone !!

1 Like