Following up

@shutterbug i just booked my first paid shoot! I’m charging 100 an hour for now. I’m pretty experienced given the fact that it was my fav class in high school. I’m 19 now. But one question. Why are my images that are taken in the dark so grainy? Do I need to upgrade camera or lens? The exsposure was perfect so no problem there. Any tips for my first paid shoot? Thanks, pls answer all questions of you can!

2 Likes

Sensor noise from shooting at high ISO. Larger sensors (full-frame) are better than small sensors (APS-C or under). Sony sensors are the best in low light (found in Sony and Nikon cameras). Your only options are to add more light (google “The Strobist” for cheap solutions) or upgrade your camera body if you need to deal with moving subjects in low light.

You should have the best cameras and lenses you can afford, ideally.

That’s reasonable, but ONLY if you are also charging for post-production as well. If you charge $200 for a two-hour shoot then spend another ten hours doing post unpaid, you’re losing money.

Visit the location before hand, make a shot and pose list and have it ready for the day of the shoot so that you’re prepped in case your mind goes blank under pressure. Make sure you solicit ideas from the client and work them in.

Good luck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.