FIXING Intelligence - Solutions to low IQ through neuroscience - Dr. Jordan Peterson

This has implications for schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I would like to watch this later, but I canā€™t on my phone.

Could you give us the gist of what he says?

Essentially he is using the term ā€œdiseaseā€ as a lack of a better word and in a metaphor for possibilities that have been aroused with developments in neuroscience. And what he says is ā€œwhat if you could give someone a ā€˜pillā€™ (metaphorically) and that will shift everyoneā€™s IQ higher, to over 100ā€ and think about what if everyone could have the reasoning to be able to work a decent job and live a decent life because of this ā€œpillā€?

And yeah IQ is not a good measure of intelligence, but they were speaking (in this one or another one) that IQ can determine someoneā€™s skills when it comes to their test results. An IQ below some point might show a difficulty with something, while an IQ above another might show an excel at something else.

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy with my IQ. Itā€™s above 100.

1 Like

I think they implied they could get it higher? By about 20 points or more.

1 Like

I wish I had my dadā€™s mathematical talentā€¦
Or even my Momā€™s LUL

1 Like

Low IQ is not a disease.

For whatever reason, some people are just dumber than a sack oā€™ hammersā€¦poor genetics, upbringing, environmentā€¦ etc.

Well, I believe they can already change IQ. They can lower it too.

I didnā€™t watch the video. Is it a pill or therapy that they are talking about?

Itā€™s a lack of a better word.

1 Like

I think they were talking about possible therapies that can happen in the future.

3 Likes

@anon1571434 do you think that something like this can work for schizophrenics?
Or do we need to first cure schizophrenia to enjoy such a cognitive boost?

I think it can yes. For whatever reason a person might have a low IQ, as a result of a mental illness or poor education, I donā€™t know which they will tackle first.

That can definitely help people with sz as treatment for cognitive symptoms.

Letā€™s say they increase my IQ by 20 points, is that going to really benefit me? I can already do advanced math and programming with an IQ above 100, yet I canā€™t find the skills to get a career, get my teeth brushed, and keep my room cleaned.

What are you missing @insidemind ?
What is stopping you?

1 Like

Drive, motivation, focus, planning ahead, social skills, energy, and multi-tasking.

2 Likes

The best I can tell you is that it will increase your chances to have a better life.

2 Likes

Positive symptoms like remembering trauma and past lives is a big demotivator.

1 Like