Entertiained and distracted by all the whispering and voices

So i think after about a month and a half of being stabilized on meds for the first time. The right KIND of meds. Suddenly I feel like im able to come to terms with whats REALLY happening in my personal perception of the world around me. For the first time im not oblivious and in denial of the fact that i cant listen to music with lyrics or the words morph into things i really prefer not to deal with anymore. I suppose accepting that the tv tells you things is the first step to getting the treatment to getting it taken out of your life. There comes a point when the tv or the radio become so distracting its no wonder what i really dont have is ADD. They get so bad you cannot take care of basic needs like making phone calls to stay out of trouble. To make your little voice thats actually YOU, heard over the rest that spill out when the anxiety kicks in. Which is all the time. #BreathingDeep

3 Likes

Excellent description of my own “before” and “after” experiences.

2 Likes

I used to have a very hard time listening to music with lyrics also… it just added to the voices and more head chatter.
I listened to a lot of classical.

I don’t even own a T.V. and it’s hard to keep the concentration up… I’m glad you hear your feeling better.

I hope that today is better then yesterday… and tomorrow will be better then today.

1 Like

When the illness first started appearing in my life, I definitely had trouble listening to the radio and watching television. SurprisedJ stated something I really liked, “I hope that today is better than yesterday… and tomorrow will be better than today.” As for what you shared jeffreyb87, I have also experienced that morph you mentioned. I once read an article about a symptom that comes with schizophrenia. It mentioned about how patients would hear certain words and associate them with different things. Since I cannot recall exactly what words morphed in my own mind at any give time, i’ll share the example given in that article… it stated that a certain patient upon hearing the word psychiatry, might think to himself, “Say Kaya Tree.” Good to hear you’re doing better. As for voices, they weren’t always bad, sometimes they were nice and encouraging, or entertaining, but when they were bad, I often felt a fear for my life. Every once in awhile I still hear a thing here or there but much less often than before. Coming back to reality is a nice feeling.

Wow it never occured to me that is yet another thing I once thought unique to myself to be a shared feeling. So many things suddenly clarifying themselves as hallmark symptoms I feel stupid for not recognizing before. It was a sheer lack of education on the subject I presume. I would get transfixed on specific often simple words and waste my thought processes over analyzing things like “Poo’l” or “Hip-Poh” or “Skew-ewe’l” instead of school pool and hippo. Often the distraction would entertain my thoughts until Id forgotten the core of my subject or point.

Heard of Lindsey Stirling?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lindsey+stirling&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=1ED48DD7E51861145C831ED48DD7E51861145C83

I think that this is a sure sign of progress- it took me a long time to get to that point of realizing that the â– â– â– â–  is all in your head.

Good on you, and keep it up. Soon enough you might be doing things you never really thought you would be doing ever. You never know if you don’t go- so go forward with recovery and if there is one thing in addition to professional help and peer support, it is PSYCHOEDUCATION; understanding and accepting your illness…our illness…yeah. I suggest reading Surviving Schizophrenia by Fuller Torrey to begin with, then The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn Saks. It should really wake you up as to how your experiences have been experienced by millions…and still are every day.

Good luck and good work!

3 Likes

I found the book coping with schizophrenia im currently reading through.

I’ve never experienced music distorting, but since I was first unwell I can’t concentrate on TV for very long whereas before I enjoyed TV. Thinking about it I can’t concentrate on much for long these days. There was a time in my life when I would turn on the radio at bedtime so it would drowned out the background noises and I could get to sleep. My memory is bad as well. I have quite a bit of trouble understanding things. I thought maybe I had low range Asperger Syndrome but my doctor didn’t agree with this when I asked her.

The lack of concentration… before my meds got switched up… I had a very hard tome concentrating on anything . It was hard not to slip into my head.

With all the head circus going on… the hallucinations… the voices… the false memories…

my memory is very shaky. I’m working on making that stronger… but your not alone with the memory problems.

1 Like

Sometimes I think of something I need to look up on the net - by the time I’ve turned the laptop on - it’s gone - I won’t have a clue what it was. I spend most of the day hunting for my glasses. And you speak of false memories - I thought that was just me - I’m like “did that actually happen”. Often I can’t separate what actually happened or what I dreamed, or imagined.

2 Likes

Strongly agree with mortimermouse’s reading recommendations above. (I’m an information junkie… but it’s really produced useful results.) Snatching a recent post from another thread:

My Voices yack, yack, yack and yack (though not nearly as loudly or “forcefully” as they did when I wasn’t on meds). But I cannot ignore them, so I listen to them without identifying with them or taking action on anything they “figure out” or “decide” or “tell me to do.”

I just observe to notice to recognize to acknowledge to accept (all the noise as just noise) to own (that my head is producing it) to appreciate (why my head makes the noise) to understand it as just thoughts.

So doing makes it possible to pull the plug out of the socket, disconnect from my impulsivity to do anything about what the Voices say, and move on back into the Reality Zone. It’s all automatic once I get to owning that my brain is manufacturing all the thoughts.

2 Likes

I have a lot of false memories to try and unscramble… Or just let go of and move on… but I get obsessive.

I used to do drugs… and drink very heavily… that didn’t help my perception of reality.

Then there was the deeply disturbing Intruding thoughts… anger problems… hallucinations… things that seemed so real… but turns out they weren’t.

My own delusions and paranoia… all twisted my memory of people and places.

1 Like

When you say just let go and move on - if only - I get flash backs, not so much now as when I was first unwell a long time ago - some are scary and some OK - and I’m like “did that actually happen?”.

Is this past or current? If current, I hear (or read to see, actually) “meds out of whack” some way or another. Maybe over- or under-dosed, maybe the wrong anti-P, maybe others in a cocktail that aren’t right, or maybe something that just shouldn’t be there at all.

Have you done any CBT? If you’re stable on meds, CBT can often straighten this out by pulling the plug on the noise that’s in between the your capacity to recall and the actual memories. It’s mostly in the compromised function of the left hemispheric hippocampus formation in the midbrain owing to “piling on” by the amygdala about a half an inch in front of it. Sounds like the med combo was not attenuating all the blast from the amygdala. Very common in sz with anxiety.

(I think this must be past stuff, because you usually sound pretty hooked up when you post.)

Ohhhh, just saw your post at “It’s not my Sz this time.” Are you taking any neurostimulants? Anti-Ds? ADHD meds? Drinking a lot of coke or coffee? Any ephedrines or pseudo-ephedrines? They’ve all got potential to induce the symptoms you described on that thread lead-off.

And no I just saw your post on another thread where said “I love my Latuda…” 'Cause Latuda has a neurostimulant component to it that might be the cause of what you described. You may be slightly over-dosed and able to correct the problem with a little de-titration, but I’d get with the doc on that.

1 Like

Past… The past three years my memory fog has been clearing. I’ve been working on memory with Luminosity and other things.

I do CBT with my therapist. Your right… it has been “pulling the plug on the noise”

It’s been helping and sorting the real from the past… mindfulness… how to not let in the sneaky brained thinking.

BANG… silly me… I have been taking some Benadryl for the allergies… working out in the parks… lots of fresh cut lawn… lot’s of things in bloom… but I’ve also been swimming in open water… sometimes that will give me swimmers ear. So I should look out for two things now. :confused:

Thank you for that tip…

I don’t like coke and soda… but I do have a little coffee in the morning… then I go to Tea.

No ADHD meds yet… I can’t do Ritalin. I was on it when I was a kid. Too much of a stimulant…

I have an appointment with the Doc on Tuesday. I will bring this up. Thank you for this as well.

Ii get really groggy during the day from my day meds and my bedtime med keeps me up then gives me nightmares. Im under the impression some more experimentation must be done yet with me as well. Appt is on Monday :slight_smile:

Not to mention i cant have grapefruit now. How does one possibly survive without grapefruits eludes me.

2 Likes

I like your sense of humor jeffreyb87. It is very important to find humor. Not being able to laugh or even muster a smile is a possible sign of depression. Reader’s Digest often has very good humor articles. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has proven to be helpful. I have read that medication alone does not always help much alone. Statistics indicate that psychotropic medication has proven to be more effective if there is also therapy involved.

1 Like