Engaged to be married

Today May 19, 2022. I proposed to my friend, and he said I’ll marry you. This was done virtually using a PC and my smartphone. Don’t be alarmed. We are miles away from setting a wedding date, and engagements can be broken off if absolutely necessary. It’s been an internet dating thing. He doesn’t want to move here without me making a commitment. He’s going to find a job then move here. I would say he’s shorter than me and isn’t a GQ model. I really don’t care though. I’m in love with the person he is. If you absolutely must know I’m 6’0" & 62 y.o. He’s 5’9" and 48 y.o. We both like poetry and good literature, the good stuff at least.

I also told him when I die he can claim spouse’s benefits on my Social Security. I need the help and he’s willing.

5 Likes

You seriously asked someone you have never met in person to marry you? Seriously…? This is a disaster waiting to happen.

11 Likes

Well he doesn’t have any relatives, and neither do I. My sister doesn’t want to have anything to do with me anymore. We share religious beliefs which I can’t discuss. I can’t afford the cost of living where my sister lives, and she won’t let me stay with her.

Did you ask a potential scam artist to marry you?!??

Oh boy… This is not a good idea @anon54988740

7 Likes

Congratulations and best of luck to you. Really hope you have the happiness you are looking for.

They say in the first 5 minutes women and men know if they will have sex with that person; a woman or man. A lot of people look for commonalities in the beginning of relationships to see if you’re compatible. If you are compatible that’s a good sign. I have married friends and some of them dated their girlfriends for 8 years, 9 years, and so on before getting married and now they’re divorced. On the other hand, I had a friend who met his wife on e harmony and married her after a month and they’re still together. People grow and change while they’re in relationships. That person today may be someone different tomorrow. No one knows. To be loved is one of the greatest things to be experienced. To be in love is to be a fool; going against rational thought. I hope everything works out for you. Good things.

Thanks for your opinions @anon55031185 @Wave @Zwaynopolous @TheCanuk

2 Likes

I hope it works out for you, and you’re happy.

Some of you haven’t thought about the legal rights that come with marriage. My property cars and such become his when I die. Bank accounts ect. He also has the right to arrange my funeral. Oh. I left out making health care decisions for you if you are incapacitated.

Thanks @fractaled

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong @anon54988740
I’m rooting for you and hope things work out for you but you never met this guy in person.
You don’t know who he is.

I’m worried for you.

You are a good guy and deserve the best

3 Likes

I wish you well as well, @anon54988740, but I have serious doubts about this guy. The returned phone because his address wasn’t legit, the promise he already made to move here by sometime in May. Now he’s wanting a commitment of marriage and he has to find a job before moving here. It all seems like he is just stringing you along and this is never going to happen. I could be wrong though.

7 Likes

Thanks @Bowens @Wave I appreciate it.

2 Likes

I not worried about him finding work. Unemployment is low here, and they are screaming for people to work. I’ve thought about maybe trying to find something for no more than 20 hours a week with him here to help me. I have to watch my earnings though because of my Disability. If he comes here as promised, I may try it. I don’t know if they will let you work two 8-hour shifts a week or maybe there is just a 4-hour day. I don’t know if I could handle 8 hour shifts.

I think you are taking a very big risk. But its your choice. Good luck.

Thanks for the opinion @Aziz

1 Like

I’ve thought of this too, if I try to find a job once I’m in a position to even look for one. I hope these exist. I couldn’t work a full day I think.

1 Like

Thanks @fractaled I haven’t really looked into it yet. I think they should up the income limit for those on disability because of inflation. My PCP found I’m anemic and have a vitamin D deficiency mainly because I can’t afford meat anymore.

1 Like

Me either, I’m not at a point where I can (no car/transportation yet). I wish you luck though, you seem like a really good person. I hope it all works out for you.

Have you tried supplements? My ex from Norway had to take vitamin d supplements because of the lack of sun there.

1 Like

Thanks again @fractaled My PCP has given me cheap prescription Iron and vitamin d pills. I seeing a nurse practitioner. The Medicare copays aren’t as high. I going to switch to an Advantage plan in 2023.

1 Like