Emotional intelligence

@firemonkey, get in on this, you seem to know a lot about emotional intelligence, i’ve heard you talk about it before, and your IQ is higher than mine so now I like you a lot more LOL

So I’ve met some people who had very high emotional intelligence and excellent social skills who don’t even work desk jobs. Like the biggest guy on my powerlifting team, he has very high emotional intelligence, he is great with EVERYBODY, from little kids to the other huge lifters. He handles each person uniquely, for example if he sees some 220+ lb guy grinding it out on a machine he will yell STAY WEAK ■■■■■■■■■■■■ as encouragement, and then he talks to people’s kids really skillfully and is friends with everyone. Seriously, friends with EVERYONE.

He himself is crazy strong, he specializes in bench press and I witnessed him bench 685 twice last week, complete with “YEAH ■■■■■■■■■■■■” when he racked with bar.

He is more emotionally intelligent than I am- he has outstanding social skills and even knows how to talk to me, the crazy new small guy. He calls me looney tunes and joked about me not taking my meds when this other lifter and I asked him to get in the mosh pit at a metal concert we went to. I said I felt funny (I did feel funny) at the end of a workout one time (a 3 1/2 hour workout) and they had him talk to me and he was skilled, he convinced me to sit next to the fan and asked me some questions and concluded “You’re coming down off an adrenaline rush. It happens sometimes in here. It will pass on in a few minutes just stay still” I answered yes to feeling lightheaded and sort of high and he was really good at handling it.

It reminded me of the crisis intervention team officers I have come across. Really skilled, calm yet somehow authoritative at the same time.

What is this whole emotional intelligence thing, and why do I suck at it?

I don’t claim to know a lot about it, only that i’ve tested mine online a few times and scored quite low/low.

I get jealous of people who have social dexterity.

1 Like

I took the emotional intelligence quiz from the link, and these are my results:

How Did You Score?
Your results indicate an average score on emotional intelligence.

What Does Your Score Mean
People with an average score on emotional intelligence are generally good at interpreting, understanding, and acting upon emotions. They are are fairly comfortable with dealing with social or emotional conflicts, expressing their feelings, and dealing with emotional situations.

It’s important to remember that no matter what your score is, there is always room to improve your emotional intelligence. Consider areas where you are not as strong and think of ways that you can learn and grow. Take stock of your strong points and find ways to continue to develop and apply these skills.

1 Like

Direct link to the EQ test:

Mine:
How Did You Score?
Your results indicate a high score on emotional intelligence.

What Does Your Score Mean?
People who score high on emotional intelligence tend to be skilled at interpreting, understanding, and acting upon emotions. They are adept at dealing with social or emotional conflicts, expressing their feelings, and dealing with emotional situations.

It’s important to remember that no matter how good your score is, there is always room to improve your emotional intelligence. Consider areas where you are not as strong and think of ways that you can learn and grow. Take stock of your strong points and find ways to continue to develop and apply these skills.

2 Likes

I scored as having average emotional intelligence - sounds like more psychobabble ■■■■■■■■ to me

I’ve been in a lot of therapy to and anger management classes and they talk about E.I. a lot. This was in one of my anger management books.

It’s nice to have a bunch of large numbers on a page. But there should be more to us then just a chart of numbers. From my anger management books, there are 5 components. When they are in balance, there is calm and contentment in your life.

Right in the center… you have to have the want… the motivation to care about others. I have to work on self awareness and self regulation. I’ve been learning social skills and have more to learn. I do care about others. I was just born with a genuine like of people. It got damaged from this illness. But the more I kick it, the more I find some of my old self under the chaos.

3 Likes

I scored average on this one but have scored low on others in the past. Where i question such tests is who decides what the healthy/right response is?

1 Like

I took this EI test, I got high scores, but in my opinion it is not a very good test,because I know there are better EI tests. I have one EI CD that has a very good test, it tests also facial expressions, types of music, colors and so on in addition to these verbal questions. I got it in America in the 1990s and my result was 98% higher than other people in America. I recall my former spouse scored 75 % or so. No wonder she tried to beat me up in a middle of some conversations.

I think the healthy right response is something like… does the reaction fit the circumstance.

If the reaction is equal to the first action then there is a balance. But if the reaction is over the top greater to the first action, then there needs to be some adjustment. If one little thing sends you into a fist flailing rage, that’s not very good on the E.I. scale.

1 Like

How Did You Score?
Your results indicate an above average score on emotional intelligence.

People with a better than average score on emotional intelligence tend to be good at interpreting, understanding, and acting upon emotions. They are usually quite good at dealing with social or emotional conflicts, expressing their feelings, and dealing with emotional situations.

LOL, I actually experienced the class one about getting the C+…and I dropped the class entirely, changed majors…Some of these questions could go both ways. Like at jobs i have usually mentioned to a person if they are bothering me, but a few times things were so bad I had to make a complaint to the supervisors to rectify the situation…so the questions can have more than one answer…

11 of 11 post…just got that on my last post too !
maybe we could make a test of how often people spot 11:11… I know me and at least one other here would score high on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just came across a quote by Bruce Lee: All types of knowledge, ultimately mean self knowledge.

2 Likes

My score was low. Twenty characters blah blah.

I score very low on the emotional intelligence test and I score high on iq tests. I’m basically a malfunctioning computer. I’d trade my high iq for a high eq anyday.

1 Like

How Did You Score?
Your results indicate a high score on emotional intelligence.

People who score high on emotional intelligence tend to be skilled at interpreting, understanding, and acting upon emotions. They are adept at dealing with social or emotional conflicts, expressing their feelings, and dealing with emotional situations.

It’s important to remember that no matter how good your score is, there is always room to improve your emotional intelligence. Consider areas where you are not as strong and think of ways that you can learn and grow. Take stock of your strong points and find ways to continue to develop and apply these skills.

I was a little surprised. I think I confuse being a social butterfly with being aware of emotions, know what I mean?

I answered yes to the confrontational questions and still scored high…huh…