Drinking with schizophrenia?

Before having this i used to enjoy smoking marijuana and now i cannot because it causes my symptoms to worsen quite a bit. i wanted to know if drinking can have the same effect or not because i am too scared to try it myself, would i need to not take my medication when i plan on it or should i simply stay from it.

Do yourself a favor and avoid alcohol at all costs. Aside from mentally screwing you up, alcohol will cancel out the medication. So you’ll be drunk and symptomatic. Doesn’t sound very appealing to me. I never touch the stuff, and would strongly encourage you to do the same.

7 Likes

I second @anon40540444. Alcohol and mental illness is not a good combination.

4 Likes

Stay away from all alcohol or street drugs when taking meds,
it will save not only you, but everyone else around you, from a lot of unnecessary grief.
Plust the fact that if your not stable enough right now to not need meds, then why take a chance on derailing yourself from the idea that alcohol might enhance your stability?

3 Likes

alright, thanks, i was thinking that might be the answer, i’m just having a bit of a hard time with dealing with all of this and that stuff is how i used to escape, i suppose i don’t have that luxury anymore…

2 Likes

I know the feeling, believe me. When I decided to quit all drugs and alcohol it was at first the most difficult decision. Now it seems the best decision I could’ve make. Been sober for over a year now and it’s been great, no need to escape from anything, just learning to deal with the ups and downs.

Good luck man, we’re here for you.

4 Likes

Wise words. I got drunk last week and it screwed my symptoms up for a week. In that time I had made grief for all my family. I am going to be sober for life.

2 Likes

I’ve done some fairly heavy drinking while on med’s. I’m beginning to wonder what I saw in it. I’d have to puke in the night, which wasn’t fun. The hangover was a killer. And it was very draining of my physical strength. I was the weakest physically that I’d ever been when I was drinking and on med’s. Mixing alcohol with the med’s we take is hard on your liver, and probably a few other organs as well.

3 Likes

it’s just hard to think that i would have to commit to something like that, i usually live life doing what i want when i want if i feel like it, so not being able to do any of those things is going to mess with me a bit, drinking makes me feel normal usually, now i just fear intoxication, it’s just got me messed up, still fighting delusions and paranoia so i can’t help but think someone is doing this to me to force sobriety upon me, it makes me want to fight it and do it anyways, but i know i shouldn’t it’s just hard to fight myself and my thoughts on it all, you know, anybody else think like this…?

1 Like

once you are stable and if your meds don’t interact badly with alcohol, you can drink in moderation. I sometimes have a glass of something on the weekends. But its taken me many years to achieve this. please understand that while what i drink is made with vodka, its like one shot of vodka with 18 oz of fruit juice, just enough to give me a pleasant buzz. the trick is being stable on your meds and keeping the drinking to a minimum. i drink ONE GLASS, and sometimes its only twice a month at the most.

1 Like

moderation and patience… still going to be hard but at least it rests my urges a bit more knowing that it isn’t forever, thanks mate, and a buzz is still better than nothing

hey,

I drink too much but it makes me feel normal. I suffer heaps from the negatives. Positives don’t affect me as much.

It’s a double edged sword. I too used to like pot. It slowed down my brain and made me happy and able to deal with life without stress. I could wind down but as I moved into schizophrenia it really was killing me…

Prolly the same. I am now at a point in my life, 45…that I need to get a bit fitter and stay active. So less drinking is on the cards. It’s like any drug…and alcohol is one of the most consumed drugs…it affects mood and can exacerbate depression…that isn’t kosher…small amounts or have a party with days of not drinking from my vast experience is my honest answer.

Rogueone.

1 Like

A nice cup of tea and a purring cat beat out a case of beer any day of the week. You just need to shift your thinking.

1 Like

Hi used alcohol and morphine to escape life and to cope with sz before I got meds. My meds make me calm and with low anxiety compared to before.

It’s hardest the first year to stay away from drugs or alcohol. But it really gets better. I’ve been sober and clean since 2010. I still have dreams where I get totally wasted and feel very bad with high anxiety. I know in my dreams that I have quit drinking. Maybe it’s a reminder to me how it will be if I start drinking again.

It is also not a good idea to mix meds with drugs or alcohol. You can’t skip doses either, you will just be worse and worse. Drunk and psychotic.

2 Likes

I don’t drink often but when I do I drink like other people. Because of the meds I get queasy before I get really drunk, so I just stop when that happens. I do get depressed the next day but other than that it doesn’t cause me any problems. Staying away from alcohol is wise, but not every person with sz on meds will have problems with alcohol. I drink once every week or every other week. The reason I do it is that my anhedonia makes it basically the only thing I am able to look forward to. It is nice to have something to look forward to. Being completely clean and sober might be better for you though, we’re all different. I think you should make up your own mind, but always be careful with drugs.

1 Like

4 Likes

That is not true for everyone.

But true for enough people that I’d encourage people not to mess around with it. Usually if there is an urge to be intoxicated, there is an underlying reason, too.

1 Like

If he wants to try drinking and hasn’t had issues with alcohol previously then I see no problem with trying it to see how it affects him. We’re all different and want different things, sobriety is not for everyone. I know a lot of people with mental illness, very few of them have issues with drinking alcohol. “Everything in moderation, including moderation” is a good rule for most people.