Drinking with schizophrenia?

I feel like there is some self-denial going on here. But I won’t try to argue anyone into the ground as far as not trying it. Everyone is free to do as they wish. Just please be careful.

And I feel like you’re trying to force your view on others by making broad generalizations that obviously aren’t true for everyone. There’s no self-denial here, I simply enjoy getting drunk sometimes and like looking forward to parties with friends. I drink responsibly.

Because “sobriety is not for you”? Yes I’m very biased, I admit. My father self-medicated with alcohol, and it destroyed his mind and life. I feel very nervous any time someone with MI wants to start drinking.

In this case I would caution against it. Millions of people smoke weed with no problems. OP’s experience doesn’t mean smoking weed is bad. It means that getting intoxicated with mental illness can be bad.

I was addicted to weed myself, I self-medicated for years. I kicked that habit and now I enjoy drinking every now and then. There’s nothing wrong with that. If OP wants to do the same, he should know that it can work for some people. I said in my first post that he should be careful and that sobriety might be a better option. There’s nothing wrong with cautioning against drinking, but pretending that alcohol is the devil isn’t the right way to do it.

i have had a long drug history, those harder drugs helped me before this but now i wouldn’t dare try those, that is why it freaked me out how bad weed could affect me… i don’t think i am going to drink or at least not very much since i am on my medication, if i try a little and it doesn’t have too bad of results then i will if it does then i won’t i guess i should just focus more right now on trying to find something new to help me cope. you guys don’t need to argue, i don’t think it is a denial thing either though, since i know people who can drink with mental illness as well, i just don’t know anyone with the same issues that we have, that is why i asked you guys and why i joined this page, to better inform myself. thank you all, i really appreciate your input on this topic. side note I am a female >>turnip and treebeard.

Walking is a good habit. Makes you not gain so much weight from medicines.

1 Like

i’ve drank wine with meds before

I’ve been drinking since jr high i can tell you will out a doubt if the people in your head would leave you alone you would feel the same as you used to