Does anyone know the difference between DBT and CBT?

Someone on a post mentioned CBT as being helpful to sz, sza, and maybe bp disorder. My library didn’t have any books on the subject. It’s a small town. I checked on Amazon and books mostly on CBT. I did see the book on DBT by Lineham. I think that was what the therapist at first tried to get me involved in with they thought I had borderline personality disorder. I saw they had a lot of books on cbt and psychosis/schizophrenia. Some of the books were way too expensive for me. I finally purchased a book that was basically geared to cbt on your own kind of thing. It was much less expensive and it was from I think about 2013. Anyway, if anyone could tell what the difference is, if there is one, and one it means for those with sz, sza and/or bp. I want to read what will be the best for me and I am tired of the meds that either don’t work or make things worse. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Here are some resources:

Videos on CBT for psychosis:

A free therapist’s manual:

A story about how its done in Canada:

And a DBT discussion:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I will read these; but, I don’t have a printer hooked up yet to print them!

Dialectical Behavior Therapy is an extensive Behavior Modification and Skills Training overlay on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that teaches the pt four basic skill including (most significantly to me, anyway) “distress tolerance” and “emotion regulation.”

***C***BT comes strictly from the psychophilosophy that everything we feel and do derives from how and what we think… and is in fact an “umbrella” for a whole bunch of different specific therapies, one of which is Rational-Emotive Behavioral Therapy, and another is a more modern tweak of REBT called Self-talk Identification, Questioning & Revision.

A properly (meaning compliant and neither over- or under-) medicated pt can do these therapies to put a whole bunch of distance between themselves and their voices. Moreover, they could do them without having to spend a fortune by digging a bit online.

What ***D***BT adds to the mix is the ability to tolerate very strong emotions without running for cover of some kind (sex, romance, self-destructive behavior like cutting, addictions, over-exercise, hiding under the covers, eating like a pig with or without subsequent vomiting, etc., etc., etc.)… as well as to (over time) actually reduce the initial and lasting impact of strong emotions by “putting them over there” instead of where the voices seem to be.

I would not recommend buying Marsha’s own (1993) book because it was written for doctorate-level readers, and most of the masters-level pshrinques I know still can’t understand it.

What I would recommend (in order of reading & doing, because each lays a nice platform for the one that follows) is…

Sherri van Dijk’s DBT Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide to Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Oakland, CA: New Harbinger, 2013;

Thomas Marra’s really excellent Depressed & Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression & Anxiety, Oakland, CA: New Harbinger, 2004;

van Dijk’s The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life, Oakland, CA: New Harbinger, 2009; and finally…

Chapman, Gratz & Tull’s The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD & Other Anxiety Symptoms, Oakland CA: New Harbinger, 2011.

If you plow through these the way I did, it’s hard to believe you won’t feel like Lazarus being raised from the dead. It’ll take a few months to do that, but for about $50, you’ll get about $2000 worth of psychotherapy.

3 Likes

cbt is working for me… :heart:
take care :alien:

2 Likes

Thank you, notmoses for your information. I had bought some kind of workbook years ago; but, got rid of. It had have some good ideas. I purchased this book from Amazon; The CBT Workbook: A Teach Yourself Guide by Stephanie Fitzgerald (2013). I had thought about Introducing CBT: Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy :A Practical Guide By Elaine IIjon Foreman and Claire Pollard (2011) The reason I bought the former rather than the latter was when I searched cbt and psychosis this was one of the books. I did not see the latter book in the cbt and psychosis list. The latter book seemed more geared to those suffering from depression and ptsd. A lot of the books were beyond my price range and too technical and professional-oriented not with down to earth suggestions. I do plan to keep my therapist and not abandon him. He needs me.
darkstith, I am very encouraged by what you said. the meds seem only to be hurting me lately and not helping me anymore. Maybe, it was just a illusion they ever did!

The workbooks I mentioned are 1) linked below, and 2) waaaaaaaaaay more sophisticated and effective than the two you mentioned. Those two are far more basic workbooks for the kind of people pshrinques call “low functioners.” (But they are great for LFs.)

You can usually get these books shipped for less than $20.00 each total. I buy “used” ones, because 90% of the time, they *aren’t." They’re brand new or just have a very few marks in them.

http://www.amazon.com/DBT-Made-Simple-Step-Step-ebook/dp/B00AWJAVA8 DBT Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide to Dialectical Behavior Therapy

1 Like

I was excited when I saw this question but sadly it has been answered and I cannot show off.

Please show off anyway! You may have some new or different helpful information! I could use all the minds and their knowledgeable. Take care. I am very eager to learn anything and everything about this subject! Thank you very much!

Why not add some resources that you might know of… or maybe some good books on the topic?

I’m always on the look out for books on CBT. DBT does sound like what my therapy has evolved into… but the more education I have… the better.

Plus it helps other members of my family.

Thank you for these book titles. I will check in to them. You are very right about the “used books.” I have picked up “used books” for “practically a steal” that were first editions or most likely never been used. They were in as great shape as the “new” as not so stupidly expensive. I have gotten a few books here and there with some writing in them. I usually look for “good” or “very good” copies if possible. I am very picky! Also, you might try abebook for books. I think they are an offshoot of amazon. On some books, they are cheaper and you may not have to pay shipping. You just have to shop around and compare prices. half.com from ebay is another used book online store. Anyway, thanks again for the information. You are very very helpful!

1 Like

Exactly (vis the two comments above). You may know something we don’t or that we missed.

A good Essential book on DBT is -
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook
By Mathew McKay, Thomas Marra, Jeffrey C. Wood

Okay, well CBT works better with more intellectually gifted patients because of the way it attempts to make us understand how we think and take steps to correct it- it’s more like self help with an instructor rather than obeying orders-what I mean is, it takes a smart person to get on the same level as a licensed psychologist. Rational emotive therapy is particularly only helpful to relatively insightful patients who can see things the way their shrink sees things. One subtle but key note- rational emotive therapy makes the client think that they are superior to others; it uses complimenting the client and also verbally attacking people whom the client has a problem with.

DBT had three main components: understanding and giving value to the patient’s experiences, a zen Buddhist component, and last but not least, dialectics, which is understanding and accepting strengths and weaknesses, that which we sometimes can or cannot change.

DBT is the standard for borderline. CBT is the standard for schizophrenia.

If I am wrong please correct me, I plan on writing my masters on the therapeutic compliment which means I must first master psychotherapy.

1 Like

Hi, @Greykitten, as you may see in the book, cbt is about vicious cycles and thoughts-emotions. At least that’s what I do. I don’t know about dbt, though. I hopoe you can get the help that you want, good luck! :wink:

DBT is actually a form of CBT with some extra added bonuses, like mindfulness, imagery etc…
DBT is the gold standard for Borderline patients, but is also being used more and more for other disorders like Bipolar - it is not commonly used for schizophrenia, this is where CBT comes in.

This explains the differences between CBT and DBT

1 Like