Do you sometimes experiment with your triggers

I cant resist it and everytime its gets me.

I really wish i didnt, lucky for me my triggers are not commonly seen in the day,

I just wish i didnt put myself in these situations.

1 Like

Geez no. Why would I want to do that ?! :astonished:

1 Like

Why do you feel a need to do that to yourself? I’m curious.

I don’t have many triggers. I try to get used to things that are triggering me, so the triggering becomes less intense, but there’s a song I haven’t heard in almost 12 years now because it reminds me too much of something horrible that happened.
I can hum the song or hear it in my head, but if I ever were to hear it in real life, there’s no way of knowing how I’d react.
Maybe I’d “just” dissociate, maybe I’d become a slobbering, crying mess, or maybe I’d become angry and my voices would start yelling.

I don’t want to put myself through that, so I avoid that song at all costs. Lucky for me, it’s not a song that gets played on the radio, and virtually none of my friends have heard of it.

1 Like

I have this fear of being at a festival or in malls when i see people start communicating with hand signals to one another plotting to get me. Sometimes it scares me other times i just head for the exit.

1 Like

I don’t know which are my triggers. Maybe I don’t even have schizophrenia.

1 Like

I do things sometimes that I know will cause me to dissociate. It’s kinda like self harm.

I also try to test my limits. And end up with mixed results. Still never a good time though.

1 Like

No! Because triggering things usually hurts me and I try to avoid them

1 Like

Yea i also try test myself cause i think they will have left me but nOPE.

Bam slam and dunked

1 Like

Basically yeah. I always think “this won’t be so bad lol” (8 panic attacks later) “i was wrONG. I have made a mistake. ■■■■ me in the ass holy ■■■■.”

1 Like

I sometimes practice dealing with my triggers in a safe environment, so that if I’m confronted with them unexpectedly, I’ve already established a plan of action for coping in a healthy way.

4 Likes

This is how I feel with one day having to face my mother.
I dread one day her "surprising"me with a visit and I break down or something.
Over the last 2 years I’ve been working in this and other triggers I have

2 Likes

Sure it’s called exposure therapy

2 Likes

When I was living alone in my house for years, men were a big trigger for me. Now that I live amongst men in a senior care facility, men are no longer a trigger for me. Yay!

1 Like

I don’t generally watch the news and I don’t surf news websites. I also can’t watch Game of Thrones. My wife watches a lot of both of those. I have tried in small portions. I can’t handle it.

My wife keeps the tv in the bedroom on Fox News but the volume is all the way down so it doesn’t really bother me. If she turns it up I have to go and sleep in one of the guest rooms.

2 Likes

One thing I do is watch horror movies. Usually means a demon will visit me.

2 Likes

When I was younger, and very paranoid, I used to go out to clubs to see if I could trigger my paranoia being around crowds, and I always could. I would get paranoia, delusions of reference and mind reading and telepathy symptoms. It was truly torturing. Nowadays I’m smarter. I don’t go out into situations that might trigger my psychosis anymore. I stay in my apartment by myself the majority of the time and therefore I don’t get triggered. Life is definitely better now.

1 Like

I want more from life though I don’t want to sit inside. I want to be normal and not be afraid to do normal things

2 Likes

Graded exposure can help. Starting small with someone you trust and getting bigger as you go. For example start off by seeing one friend. Then see a couple the next time. And get bigger groups.

I found it helpful

1 Like

I think it’s good to expose yourself.to your triggers. I agree with exposure therapy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.