When you talk about triggers what do you mean?

I’ve read posts hear where people talk about their triggers. What does that mean? Is it what gets your schizophrenia stirred up? Just curious. I think I had a trigger this week. I did not have psychosis, but deciding to take a part-time or full-time job sent my one and only voice on a rampage and I was upset for two days. Anyway, would that be considered a trigger?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I thought it was something that triggered a very bad response in someone’s mental health,

I was triggered badly recently and i am only just getting over it, i panicked and hyperventilated multiple times, screaming and unable to control it.

1 Like

It is something that sparks your symptoms. :whale::whale::whale:

1 Like

Thanks for answering. I must have been triggered then. I’m sorry to hear that happened. I’m glad you’re getting over it now.

1 Like

I worry i trigger people here sometimes, its not intentional but it happens, people are different and say different things, one person could trigger another without even knowing why,

I was told some of my posts were triggering but I couldn’t work out why, I have some differences of opinions but I don’t think that should be an issue, not everyone is going to agree on everything.

1 Like

When a co-worker uses the words, “schizophrenic”, “crazy”, “psychotic” or “paranoid” triggers me but I ignore the words. I focus on my work.

2 Likes

Something that triggers someones symptoms.

1 Like

@yinyang that would bother me too. Good example. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @77nick77 and @GrayBear.

2 Likes

I am slowly controlling my triggers, used to have a lot. Recently aliens and superpowers don’t trigger me anymore but horror and religion still does.

1 Like

I have been watching lots of Marvel movies lately while they used to trigger me before.

1 Like

Sounds good @Aziz.

1 Like

We hear about triggers all the time in recovery. Seeing beer/alcohol commercials on tv triggers me to drink. That’s another reason I listen to the radio instead of watching tv.

2 Likes

Good idea @anon54988740.

1 Like

Weed talk used to trigger me in the sense it made me want weed eventhough it made psychotic. But lately it doesn’t, I got over it and weed talk doesn’t trigger me anymore.

2 Likes

I don’t get triggered by anything other than if my freedom is going to be taken away, like being locked up in a psych ward for example, I hate that.

1 Like

Horror triggers me the most. I can’t sleep because of it as I get scary mental images and sensations, also nightmares. Once I wokeup in bed feeling that someone touched my back creepily and I saw a rotting human body when I turned my head to see it. It was a hallucination.

1 Like

@SpringRose @Aziz. I haven’t watched the Super Bowl in years now. I don’t really want to try again because I drank the last time I went into the liquor store to buy some cigarettes for a friend. July 24th I’ll be one year sober.

3 Likes

I hated being in the hospital. I went there for a diagnosis not realizing they take your rights away. Not cool. I was there for eight days.

2 Likes

Congrats on being sober.

2 Likes