Do you get constipated on clozapine?

And how do you deal with it??

I’m on olanzapine and have experienced constipation. It really hurts when I go to the bathroom.

There are supplements to loosen your stool. Talk to your doc.

Eat lots of fibre and whole grains and plenty of fluids
I’m on 325 and don’t have constipation
You can take lactulose

1 Like

I’m on 300mg clozapine and never had constipation

1 Like

Do you smoke cigarettes?

1 Like

I’m on 200 mg clozapine and I also have to take iron pills…both constipate me. I take a dose of milk of magnesia once a week to kinda help things out. It works pretty well.

1 Like

No. I do not smoke nor drink.

Clozapine is the absolute best antipsychotic ever made for psychosis but causes some issues side effect wise. Constipation can be one of them. So if you take an laxative that is called Movicole her in Europe the problem should be addressed. Its a powder that you put in a glass of water and drink. And if you eat an oat meal before then it will work even better.
I have used movicole for 14 years and it has worked most of the time. Please be patient with it because it will take 3 days before you can go to the toilet. And use it morning and evening.

Im on 300 mg Clozapine and it gives me constipation. I have Movicol 1 sachet each night. Works a treat.

After having made some medication changes the previous year I’m gone from two sacks down to one sack of movicol. My mother who is on Zyprexa is on two sacks of movicol and says that it works like magic on her constipation.

1 Like