Im having constipation with clozapine. What should i do?

Im having constipation with clozapine. What should i do?

2 Likes

There are some laxatives you can buy over the counter in your pharmacy. Something like Coloxyl and Senna is a good way to get the intestines moving along. You could also take some Movicol, which helps to soften the stool. These two things should get you moving - it shouldn’t make you need to rush to the toilet, it should be a gentle response.

I also take clozapine and I found out that if I take magnesium every day that it helped me with constipation. Give it a try.

1 Like

You need to report it to your doctor. This is a known and potentially life threatening side effect of Clozapine. Please take it seriously and report it.

3 Likes

Like others have said. Talk to your doctor. :crocodile::crocodile::crocodile:

1 Like

dried prunes help with constipation, also cabbage and dried figs

Yeah, tell your doctor. Depending on what he tells you, you might want to incorporate more fiber into your diet. Vegetables, fruit and cereals with bran have fiber.

1 Like

I have really bad, almost intractable constipation on my meds of Risperdal Consta, Geodon and Seroquel and my VA pdoc refuses to talk to me about it. He just refers me to my GP who only prescribes me laxatives that don’t work and refuses to talk about it further. I don’t know what to do.

1 Like

That sucks. My VA docs have been very helpful with helping my constipation. Hope something works for you. :bouquet::bouquet::bouquet:

1 Like

What worked best for me, for a while, was Metamucil, or bulk fiber laxative. It’s kind of expensive, but you can find generic brands of this that are much cheaper than the major brands. At first, this stuff worked great, but I started to not get a bowel movement predictably from it, so I took more and more of it, over time. It kind of messed up my system. I quit taking the stuff, but it was still in my system for a long time, and any time we went to town I had to make sure I knew where a public toilet was, because even though it wasn’t predictable, when I did have a bowel movement it was huge. That goes to show that you should follow the directions on the label on all med’s. I finally did get my system straightened out, but it was at least six months before I did.

1 Like

I’m so glad your doctors are helping you. I wish mine would. I’m pretty much on my own.

I’ve found that a combination of Colace (a stool softener), Senna (a laxative), Metamucil (a bulk fiber laxative), and Lactulose (a milk sugar laxative) usually works on my constipation. This is my own concoction.

I don’t know how safe it is mixing different constipation meds like this but the docs give me no choice.

1 Like

Glycerine suppositories have always helped me.

Nuts and popcorn help end my constipation. Also drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water of course made me very regular if you drink it daily.

I have som constipation too. take a movicol morning and evening with one l of water. Eat boiled vegetables to your meals. Eat a bowl of oatporage with raisins every day. After doing this for 3 days you are not constipated.

I’ve gotten rid of my constipation and an anal fissure by eating at least half my plate full of steamed vegetables or fruit. I drink a glass of water when I wake up, then I eat about a cup of fresh fruit and then I have a plate with a gluten free sandwich I make from corn, flaxseed and pumpkin with an egg and cheese with half my plate full of cooked veggies. I eat rice and lentils with half my plate full of steamed veggies for lunch, and dinner is like breakfast exept no egg. If you eat meat I’ll suggest eating your portion of meat with the rest of your plate full of steamed veggies. You can have oats with ground flax and lots of fruit for breakfast… try a change in diet to see if that helps…