Constipation and clozapine

How many days can you be constipated when on clozapine before you should worry? I’m two days without a bowel movement…

1 Like

Take it pretty serious. People can die from that. Go to the ER if you have to.

Im on doc-o-lace and sena for constipation because of clozapine… They tend to help…

lol i used to go every 5 days when i was on lithium…

Now days i go 2-3 days lucky i got off lithium!!

Laxative didnt even work for me

Are you treatment resistant? Why clozapine? Is it good?

1 Like

I’ve been taking laxido since yesterday evening I’m going to see if it works overnight…,

I’m on clozapine and am never constipated. But I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and Chinese food

1 Like

Magnesium oxide works pretty well to get things going. 400-800 mg will probably work. Big glass of water with it. Take it before bed, should go in morning. I take it when things slowdown too much. You can take it daily too, not addictive. Osmotic laxative, not spasmodic.

1 Like

I’ve gone as long as a week on some meds, like Risperdal pills. I would just take some Milk of Magnesia and that would take care of it. I don’t need to do this anymore now that I’m on Risperdal Consta injections.

Lithium made it easier for me to go. It does for most people.

I have been weeks .
Once a week if I was lucky but it was not a good quality or quantity that came out.

I am on laxatives daily but have been at least three days with out now.

My dr said to keep taking laxatives.

Lactalose given for that
I am on clozapine 325 mg but I eat fibre diet
Blueberries are good
Wholewheat cereal
Fruits and vegetables
Also it’s important to drink lots of fluids
I don’t really get too constipated

1 Like

Hi please be aware that clozapine induced slow gut/constipation can end badly. Please bring this up with your psych and doctor make sure this is monitored closely, these drugs aren’t always as safe as we’re told

1 Like

I’m starting clozaril this month. So this worries me a bit.

Just eat loads of veggies and fruit. I’ve been on clozapine for years now and I poop :poop: all the time

2 Likes

I have had constipation since 2 years cuz of clozapine.

1 Like

I dont have constipation on respridal…!!!

I have constipation and think I have always been constipated.

I take laxatives every day.

When I was a vegan I was constipated then too despite having fruit salad for lunch n heaps of vegetables for dinner.