Do you believe in cognitive therapy?

Or any kind of talking therapy whatsoever…
I think it helped me to have someone to talk to during my worst months (the begining of my illness), but I think aswell it didn´t help me as much (as the cost of the therapy).
On the other hand, at least in my case, they work towards making you think that you need them. And having therapy may create a need that wasn´t neccessarily there.
Have you ever had any kind of success with therapy?

When I was really sick in the beginning, I am not sure. Depends on the speed and difficulty of the therapy. Depends on the quality and therapists too. And of course if it’s covered by insurance.

I think overall it helped. But I ended up with paranoia, fear, and PTSD like feelings/symptoms.

I stopped going to therapy because they just ignore my beliefs and “delusions” and just think I have an overactive imagination. They don’t want to hear my thoughts and fears anymore.

1 Like

Probably same thing would have happened to me, they won’t listen to me. I think meds are much more improtant, they’re the basis. You need to improve to a certain degree with meds before benefiting from talk therapy.

2 Likes

I also prefer the meds route to therapy but I haven’t had a lot of therapy anyway. But I talk to loved ones a lot and they support me, and there was this mental health social worker who listened to me talk in sessions; after I left hospital I saw her in outpatients. But I found she just sympathised and didn’t give advice. I can get that from my sister too.

I saw a psychologist once or twice a few years ago and I stopped seeing her because she said something that offended me unintentionally - she said my paranoia of my mother in law poisoning me is normal. (WTF???)

1 Like

Ikr I hear lots of stories like that, sometimes psychologists create new problems instead of fixing existing ones. I am happy that I have never seen a psychologist and will never do. They’re not Drs.

1 Like

I think good therapy could have helped.

I talked to a nurse for a while, but i feel it made it worse in a way. She just chatted with me and went along in all i said. Even delusions/paranoia. But that wasnt therapy (just chats) and she wasnt good.

It did help me to learn to recognize, bear and express feelings. I never really learned that. This lessened my psychotic sensitivity.

I think dialectical behaviour therapy might have helped…im working through a book alone now.

1 Like

What is being meant here by ‘cognitive therapy’? Is it CBT , or is it help with things like executive functioning and working memory?

1 Like

More like talk therapy. Would you mind to explain your thoughts over this?

As someone who had a bad experience with it I may not be the best person to contribute to this thread.

1 Like

My therapist is psychoanalyst.
We are doing well. And we get along well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.