How important is therapy

I always see my pdoc every 3 months to update.

I’ve seen 2 therapists and I feel like they can’t really help me.

Maybe I’m wrong and should give it another chance.

How does your therapist help you. Are u satisfied ?

1 Like

I feel the same way.
It’s not often enough, and not enough ever comes of it.
Sometimes i feel that focusing on all the bad stuff
Brings it all up and actually makes things worse.
I feel crazier when i leave the docs.

i feel like they focus too much on the negative and
Don’t want to direct you towards the good things
Or suggest anything helpful .

I still keep going though, for lack of other options, and not much to lose

1 Like

I tried therapy three years ago but it wasn’t helpful. I was particularly optimistic about DBT but I got a taste of it while inpatient and it didn’t help either. How am I supposed to control and redirect my thought patterns when my brain is all over the place?

I don’t see a therapist. I wouldn’t have anything to talk about. Maybe my delusions.

1 Like

I found the Facebook profile of a Cognitive therapist in my area. I sent her a message saying that I am schizophrenic. She refused to help

2 Likes

Talk therapy does not do a lot for me, only once over the years have i had a good one, i just go because I need the meds to stay stable

I’ve had therapy all of my life. It was always necessary because I was an abused child and young woman and I was always severely depressed and suicidal. Now, I’m fast heading into my golden years and I finally don’t need therapy anymore. I quit it about three years ago. And I’m doing very good.

1 Like

Help for me has been very slow. Personally I can’t see a change but pdoc says there is.

Pdocs have been a very small part of my treatment. I haven’t seen my pdoc at all this year, and probably just saw her an hour last year (which was above average). Talk therapy has been my main treatment. I wouldn’t have gotten this far without meds, but I certainly wouldn’t have gotten far without therapy, either.

1 Like

I stopped my talk therapy because I felt steered in the wrong direction. I feel much better now, two weeks after ending it. In the end, you have to trust and rely on yourself.

1 Like

Therapy can be hard. It makes sense that you would feel better after stopping, just like you would feel better after stopping a med that you haven’t gotten used to yet. But it’s also important that you find a good therapist that you work well with. It’s all too common to have a therapist that you don’t do well with. That won’t help much with your recovery.

I’ll shop around, thanks. I wish there were more male therapists in my area, and ones that take Medicare. Kind of limited here.

2 Likes

I get visits every few weeks. It helps when they take me on walks. We have good talks.

I think it is useless for me, I feel nothing and try to do my best. I found philosophy more supportive.

1 Like

My psychologist has really helped me. He pushed me to get back in school after dropping out and volunteering and working and transferring again and stuff. At first I was looking to join a sheltered workshop and I was not even sure how I could get there cuz I couldn’t drive at the time. Then I thought that the most I could do was get an associates degree but probably never transfer. He kept telling me to try even when I thought I couldn’t. My future is looking a lot brighter now.

Did you know that existential psychoanalysis (after Sartre) is sometimes used in client-centered therapy? Good luck finding something like that where I live, tho.

Psychoanalysis is always more beneficial and profitable to the psychoanalyst than the patient.

1 Like

My pdoc is a psychologist maybe it’s because after hearing about my interactions with the voices. They decided I needed a better doc now I see her about twice a month and she sees progress too.

1 Like

I saw that you improved a lot too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just about to start therapy again. Had it before and it was ok. Didn’t feel any better but this time I’m going to really apply what I learn.