I'm glad I don't do talk therapy

It seems like the biggest waste of time to me. Has talk therapy actually helped anyone here? It just seems like a bad habit to me.

7 Likes

It’s helped me tremendously. I owe my life, many times over, to my old therapist.

3 Likes

Talk therapy is a huge help to me. If I go more than a month between visits, I start to get worse.

3 Likes

i got set up with a therapist at the hospital. it doesn’t do much for me to be honest. I figure ill go a little while longer before ending it. if anything, he stays on me to get things done, like apply for benefits, get a license, find work, stuff like that. also it makes me use my memory a little to remember what has been discussed. other than a couple things I’ve already brought up, I’m kind of issue free.

once school or work starts I wont have time for him.

1 Like

Therapy taught me coping skills and I would be lost without them :frowning:
A good therapist is a really good tool in getting better.

2 Likes

Talk therapy is a good way for me to socialize a bit with another person that isn’t a family member.
It forces me out of the house and I do like the fact that it gives me the chance to get good practical advice from someone who is down to earth and rational minded.
I don’t get this from my home environment.

4 Likes

It’s waste of time :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Talk therapy wasn’t for me. I do recommend it though because some people might benefit from it. I didn’t.

1 Like

You are British and male and of a certain generation. We are prone to be against it, although it has been seen to work many times over.

When you went to AA initially, you may have felt the same animosity to group talking? Yet it helped you overall. Surely that would counteract the current mindset that sets you against it?

2 Likes

I’ve always just said that I’m from Europe :wink:

Yes. I didn’t think of that. AA is a sort of talk therapy. Hmmm…

2 Likes

I’ve found certain therapists made or broke therapy for me. Some made me way better. Others were more of a nuisance and just got in the way.

4 Likes

Well a lot of idiots voted us out of Europe, so that’s that, the idiots of Europe…

1 Like

I thought you were from Antarctica

1 Like

I do talk therapy and I think it’s slowly helping us. Granted I had to try 13 different people before I found someone compatible.

But now im super happy with the one I have. I genuinely believe most people can benefit from talk therapy in one way or another the hard part is finding a good doctor.

1 Like

therapy did not do much for me. She taught me some breathing exercises and mindfulness.

1 Like

talking helps me a lot

2 Likes

I dont know because I never got any talk therapy. The only thing useful to me were people who cured their sz and thinking in my own

1 Like

It was nice, it was never deep issues cos I didn’t want to n I hated the travel. Was paranoid she would let something slip to my family

1 Like

I’ve just started a course of cbt for psychosis which has been halted while I’m in hospital but I look forward to getting back to it as it’s been hugely helpful so far…

PFL x

3 Likes

Talking therapy is just a waste of time…!!! I have done it several times… holy cow… it might help some people tho…

3 Likes