Did your cognitive skills go?

It happened to me where I had no common sense. I just couldnt think common sense. Only crazy sense.

4 Likes

Yes, that happened to me. But now my common sense is back thankfully.

2 Likes

My long term memory is being wiped out.
I can’t remember big chunks of my past.

5 Likes

i have terrible short term memory, and i am having more problems than usual keeping myself in order, its really embarassing

2 Likes

I can only remember bits and pieces of my past. I don’t think about or worry about the future. I live very much in the here and Now.

4 Likes

Common sense/practical intelligence has never been the strong point.

2 Likes

My short term memory went then came back.

I am now smarter than I ever was before, I have no problems with cognition.

1 Like

I’m having trouble thinking clearly now. It’s hard to follow things and it’s hard to comprehend. I didn’t used to be like that at all

2 Likes

I have memory problems. It scares me. I hope I don’t go into early dementia. I’m only 40. Thoughts?

I think it’s terrible what this illness does to a person It destroys your memory, your problem solving skills, your common sense, your good judgment, and your motivation. All to the point where you can’t trust or rely on yourself. Almost so much that you need a caretaker.

2 Likes

Exactly. It ruins people seems. Idk just opinion.

1 Like

@SkinnyMe I don’t think so. I have severe schizophrenia, and I have very good memory, very good problem solving skills, very good judgment, very good common sense, very good motivation.

2 Likes

I’m so glad for you @Chess24 . You must have been extremely high intelligence and functioning before sz. I’m happy for you. What I’m trying to say is that a lot of us weren’t so blessed and we struggle.

2 Likes

Hey chess how have you been. You been gone a while.

@SkinnyMe , actually, before sz I was rather helpless. It is after onset of sz that I made my big breakthrough in life. What my case goes to show is, that at least in some cases of schizophrenia
you can make big progress in life after you become schizophrenic, and essentially your relative ranking
in terms of stuff like income, independence, physical fitness, intelligence etc compared to your agemates can actually improve after you get schizophrenia compared to before you had schizophrenia.

2 Likes

Did what I say prove how smart I am or how dumb I am?

1 Like

Interesting. I suppose some people could actually improve with the assistance of meds. But, I thought you weren’t on any meds?

It’s similar here. Although even in the eyes of others and even myself my biggest achievements were during and after my psychoses, I still feel I have declined. Except for (episodic) memory there is not much evidence that I have.

@SkinnyMe I am off medications, I found non-medicative methods to control the symptoms of schizophrenia. And I think it is good I did, because it is not good to be dependent on prescription medications with severe side effects.

2 Likes