Did I mess up?

I just visited a site that offered a very nice computer if I just answered four questions. I filled out their form, so they got my email address, my physical location, and my phone number, and of my ten dollars.
(for shipping) That was probably a scam, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

It sounds like a scam. I hope they don’t have access to your bank account. Then you will lose more money. My sister got scammed 1400€ that way.

The funny thing is she’s a lawyer and has a PhD. She always brags about how smart she is. Still she trapped into a simple scam.

3 Likes

well you’re 10 bucks out,
just don’t give them any more money.

1 Like

She can probably afford it. This could be a great big bummer for me.

1 Like

Did you log into a page where you had to provide your bank account details?

No, thank goodness … 15151515

2 Likes

Then it sounds you just lost the 10$.

I would check your bank account to be sure there are no strange transactions.

1 Like

Yeah i’d say you were scammed my friend. You can expect to be bombarded with scam phone calls and texts seeing as the have your phone number. Maybe look into changing your number.

1 Like

I’m already bombarded with phone calls for different philanthropic organizations. It might take some patience for them to get through.

1 Like

How did you pay the $10 if you didn’t provide payment details? I’d cancel that card right away or contact the card’s fraud department.

Please try to learn more about online scams. Here’s so e info about shopping scams.

The Online Shopping Scam: Awesome Deals Here

Contacts you by: Social media, websites
Median loss: $100

Scammer advertises great deals on enticing products, such as designer handbags, furniture, cars, even adoptable pets. Or they may offer scarce items, such as masks or COVID-19 testing kits. They never deliver once you’ve paid. This often ensnares people 50 and younger.

Scrolling through Facebook or Instagram, you spot an ad for the cordless drill you’ve been searching for. Your click leads you to a website where you buy the tool, perhaps with a credit card or by using a debit card or peer-to-peer payment app such as Zelle.

These days, you’re likely to see ads on social media or Google for everything from drills to designer clothes to cars (even puppies up for adoption). But a growing number of online shoppers aren’t getting what they paid for, a Better Business Bureau (BBB) study found. In your case, perhaps no drill arrives. Or when your package does appear, it contains a poor-quality tool or something entirely different, like . . . a ruler.

While the last example may seem puzzling, it’s increasingly common, says Bill Kresse, an associate professor of accounting at Governors State University in University Park, Ill. Some sales platforms, like Facebook Marketplace, release your payment to a seller once package delivery is confirmed, even if the item inside isn’t what you ordered. Then “the bad guys disappear into the ozone” with your money, Kresse says.

Warning signs: No refund policy, phone number, or address is clearly listed. Watch for business emails with Yahoo or Gmail addresses and a lot of negative reviews.

What to do: If you paid by credit card, ask a representative how to get your money back. With some other payment methods, it may be iffier. Report the theft to the platform you bought the item on, and to keep scrutiny on scammers, to ReportFraud.ftc.gov and BBB.org/scamtracker.

Best practices: Instead of clicking on links in online ads, go to retailer websites directly, Kresse says. You can’t be sure where links will take you. When shopping online, try to pay with a credit card, which offers the strongest protection. Keep a record and screenshots of purchases.

Heres a link to the full article. It is worth the read.

1 Like

They’ll probably wait until payday to drain my account. As it is now, they’d get $40. They probably want to do better.

Don’t wait. Contact the fraud department now.

3 Likes

My sister actually got her money back from the bank but she had to file a complaint at the police department and send that document to the bank.

1 Like

highly unlikely, Crimby that they’ll drain your bank account.

1 Like

Dude…
Do you honestly believe someone would give away a fancy pc for a small sum of 10 bucks?

Rule nr 1 of online scams: if it seems too good to be true, it 100% IS too good to be true.

2 Likes

Also, can you have a negative balance on your account? That way they could get more.

I’m sorry you fell for the scam. You can view it as a learning experience.

1 Like

It’s not the big scams that get me. It is the little ones. One time I saw an add in the paper that said, "Make $13 an hour, and it left a number. I called the number, and the call went through Jamaica, and I lost about $35, I think.

1 Like

It’s expensive to be gullible in this world.

That’s all I can say.