Beware of the babes! And other scams

I’ve had a couple of women on Facebook acting like they are interested in me to get money. I’ve heard of people falling prey to that. Beware!

Also my landline phone rings all day trying to steal information from me, usually the same scams, some pretty scary, like your going to jail if you don’t call us, and the one about promising a credit card forgiveness. I once fell for a scam on my computer. The commercial on TV about having an idea for an invention is a scam. The next time social security writes me by mail or email I’m calling them to see if it’s legit

4 Likes

Is facebook an important community for you.

1 Like

No. I very rarely look at it. Today I posted a drawing, the first in about 6 months. Some of my Facebook friends are on it 24/7 it seems.

3 Likes

Never click on a Facebook ad for any reason. And you still have a landline? Weird.

2 Likes

Yeah i get scam calls on my cellphone and landline, i just hang out shortly after thet speak. I think first time i got it like 5 years ago, saying i owed money to canada revenue agency i kinda believed it, i told someone and they said it sounds like a scam, i called the cops about it and they told me its a scam. Its kind of annoying cops dont so anything about these kind of messages, like i get these things at least once a week.

2 Likes

I turned on scam filtering on my mobile phone - haven’t had a spam call for over a year now. It’s wonderful.

4 Likes

Yes ive cos scam blocking on the phone as well. God send - going thru the recents earlier i had 20 attempted blocked calls.

The email address is another story - my info’s on the dark web, so I’m forever reporting them for phishing. Wont change it cos ive had it for 20 years and ive got licence keys tied to it.

2 Likes

I read an article about a retired Belgian businessman who send 750,000€ to his online ‘friend’. After he died his heirs tried to sue the Dutch bank that was responsible for these transactions. But the bank won the lawsuit.

2 Likes

You got that right!

1 Like

I don’t think there any laws that cover scams but I’m sure they’re working on it.

1 Like

You hear a lot of catfish scams out of Nigeria. I wonder if Nigeria is a poor country. Maybe they’re just trying to survive. Idk.

3 Likes

Trying to survive is no excuse to scam.
Hope these operations get shut down and I won’t fee bad for them.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I fell for a scam today and ended up giving them all my details :frowning: i am a stupid idiot :frowning: i cancelled my debit card but they have my personal details now :frowning: its just awful and idk how these people can live with themselves.

5 Likes

There are 3 major credit reporting agencies in the USA. TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. Call them and put a flag on your credit report that any time someone tries to get credit cards or services in your name they must call you at a specific phone number to verify it’s legit.

I used to work as a risk assessment consultant for the phone company.

Also if you can afford it Lifelock is a good fraud prevention service.

@Resilient1 edit. Oopsy you’re not in the states but I figure you have credit agencies in your country. I’m sure you can call them. Here in the states it’s free to flag your credit report.

1 Like

How did the scammers convince you to give your bank details?

1 Like

They sent me a text message and it was convincing so i followed a link to what i thought was a government website and it said i had to go through a process to check if i was eligible for a free fuel payment that we are supposed to be getting.

3 Likes

@Resilient1 I would close your bank account and switch banks. If they were to call your bank with all your details it could mean a lot of trouble for you.

2 Likes

Make your account private. Problem solved.

I wish people knew more about all the privacy features available for social media networks

3 Likes

When it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Free money is rare to come by. I’m sorry this happened.

3 Likes