Diabetes reversal?

I stopped mostly taking my blood sugar readings for awhile(not recommended) because they always seemed to be within a reasonable range and ,on my doctors encouragement, I have recently restarted taking them. I have noticed a significant drop in my blood sugar readings. Sometimes too low. At night my reading has been as low as 74(I took appropriate measures to raise it when I saw this reading, didn’t want my blood sugar going even lower while I was sleeping and have myself go into a diabetic coma or something).

Do you think that it is possible that my weight loss of 16 pounds has reversed or partially reversed my diabetes to the point that I am taking too much in the way of diabetes meds? I never had readings this low before.

I , of course, am going to ask my doc about it and maybe get a med reduction but I thought that I would get some of your opinions. Especially diabetics or @CoCo might have a particularly insightful opinion.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if losing16 pounds will do that. I’d see your dr and get an A1C check as well as discuss the low sugar. Are you taking any diabetes meds?

3 Likes

Yes, I’m taking 1000mg of metformin twice a day with breakfast and supper and glipizide also twice a day with these meals. Not sure on the dosage of glipizide.

1 Like

Metformin isn’t supposed to do that, but glipizide can. Your dose may be too high, or you may not need it anymore

1 Like

That would be great. Thanks @CoCo .

2 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like enough for a full reversal but maybe it was enough for a partial? IDK. I don’t see what else has changed to give me these low readings.

1 Like

Yes, losing weight can definitely affect your blood sugar readings for the better (lowering effect). Please see your doctor. You may need less diabetes medication.

2 Likes

Diabetes type 2 is reversable in some cases, and I guess weight management along with healthy diet are the two biggest factors.

1 Like

Definitely.
Losing weight can lower your blood glucose levels.
You may just need the Metformin and no longer need the glipizide.
It’s best to speak with your doctor about it.

I know when I eat healthier and lower carb foods, my glucose readings become normal.

1 Like

Thanks @Wave @Mr_Hope @SkinnyMe

2 Likes

My doctor said diabetes reversal might be possible with me if I lose enough weight. I’ve lost about 80lbs since I was my heaviest. My diabetes hasn’t reversed itself completely but my A1C in my blood tests has consistently been in the pre-diabetes range now (low 6’s) for a long time. it use to be 8s and 9s.

I don’t understand why Americans take their daily blood sugar with one set of units( mg/dL) , but their A1C with another set of units (mmol/L). One can be converted into the other so I would find it annoying to always have to do the math.

In Canada we use mmol/L for both daily blood sugar readings and A1C. My last A1C was 6.1 mmol/L. My glucometer records my blood sugar levels and after 3 months I can get a rough idea of what my A1C would be. When I take my blood sugar at home it is usually between 5-7 mmol/L and I don’t have to do any conversion to figure out, roughly, what my A1C is.

To get an accurate A1C I do a blood test every 6 months but the glucometer does a pretty good job estimating it.

A glucometer can estimate your A1C?

2 Likes

Some can, depends on the brand and model of glucometer. But it is just an estimation. If you want accuracy you need a blood test.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m getting a blood test soon.
Thanks @Headspark

2 Likes

Yeah, our way is probably not the best in this area, but that’s what I’ve got to work with. The metric system would probably be more convenient than the “standard” system we use for measurements too but I grew up with foot, yard, inches etc. We have some backwards things that it’s hard to break out of because people are used to them.

Thanks for the input @Headspark

1 Like

We use both in Canada in different ways, but predominantly metric. If you want a humorous take on how we measure stuff in Canada watch this video, it’s from a comedy show here in Canada. I found it hilarious because it’s true. When it comes to temperature we usually cook our food in F but measure the weather in C for example.

1 Like

I didn’t think to ask this before, but have you stopped or reduced your medications since losing weight? That’s more or less the question I was asking…if my weight loss could be causing me to need less medication. If maybe I am taking too much now because of it.

Edit: I think you mentioned something about this in a thread a long time ago, but I can’t remember if you stopped meds or what.

1 Like

No, it must’ve been someone else. I’ve tried a few different meds but I am on the same amount of diabetes meds I have been on for a long time now, but after losing the weight my A1C dropped by about 3 points. I never considered lowering my diabetic medication. My last A1C was the best result I have ever had since developing diabetes and I don’t have any side effects from my diabetes meds so I don’t want to mess with a good thing. If my A1C ever gets into the 5ish level I will consider lowering my diabetic meds and see what happens.

1 Like

Ok, thanks again @Headspark .

1 Like

Dr. Bernstein’s (diabetologist) channel on youtube will help.

1 Like