Depression is worse than psychosis

I have been depressed since a couple years.
It fluctuates mostly but most of the time I am only pretending and forcing and convincing myself that things are fine.

This is life

depression is worse than psychosis because you are aware of your lack of pleasure.

I was fine then suddenly today it hit me again. I was only walking on the road between millions of people and felt horrible. I just feel so horrible out of nowhere and think my life and this world is meaningless.

I am not sure why i am so jaded like this

I also think it’s worse because psychosis can have positive aspects and depression has absolutely nothing positive about it. Like psychosis can be exciting and doesn’t always mean you are suffering and is sometimes even an escape from reality and suffering, but if you are depressed you are definitely suffering. Not to say that psychosis doesn’t often cause depression, it often causes me to be depressed. But I agree with you as someone who deals with both.

1 Like

I suffer with both psychosis and depression, and I must say that psychosis is unpredictable and extremely frightening.
Having no insight for me makes it even more frightening.
Depression sux too but it’s more predictable and I will have insight.
They both are terrible to have.

Wishing you well @mermaid1! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not sure what it’s like to feel not depressed and fearful of psychosis.

1 Like

Negative symptoms and cognitive difficulties are worse because they’re harder to treat.

4 Likes

I think they’re both terrible, but the psychosis scares me more overall. It’s so unpredictable compared to depression.

2 Likes

I would rather be scared and in psychosis than depressed just because when I am depressed it’s constant 24/7. But I’d rather be unmedicated for my depression than unmedicated for my psychosis because my phycocis is an endless downward spiral that ends in homelessness and solitude. That’s just me personally everyone is a different case.

2 Likes

Everybody’s life deserves a little excitement now and then. It’s just too bad that we are so lost that we can only find excitement in psychoses.

2 Likes

I think depression is worse and more scary because I might really seriously hurt myself (or worse). Everything seems so horrid when I’m depressed. Like I am the absolute worst person around and don’t deserve to live. I even thought once that if I got rid of me, my husband could find someone better for my family. Really scary stuff. For me psychosis is a whole lot of seeing things that aren’t there and grandiose delusions. Sometimes I have the persecution ones too, and I feel scared of everyone. But I don’t think I would hurt myself and hopefully not hurt someone else…

As someone who suffered from both, I think that suicidal depression and paranoid psychosis are equally devastating. No one should have to suffer on that kind of a scale.

5 Likes

Where do I trade in my constantly terrifying even with decent insight psychosis for this sometimes fun and exciting psychosis?

4 Likes

I don’t think it should be a competition between the two diseases. Every individual story is different. It might be the case that psychosis plagues you early in life then depression destroys you in your old age. It also depends on what you’re trying to accomplish while suffering either disease. While psychosis may get you out of bed where depression made it impossible you may find it impossible to work with either condition. For some depression is mild while for others psychosis is mild. For me psychosis is monstrous and ocd and anxiety only complicate the issue further. We all write our own story.

5 Likes

Well said. Let’s avoid the pain Olympics. It never helps anyone.

3 Likes

Had both in spades. I can still function well when depressed.

I remember when one time I was so depressed i couldn’t stand the daylight and I was having visions of humans dragging trawling gear they beautifull corral reefs. It hurt my heart
I was defiantly sick. The sad part is- that stuff actually is true it happens. The earth is being destroyed out of greed for the dollar

i have been depressed often in my life. Psychosis is far worse for me

2 Likes

For me psychotic thoughts seem to come from a faulty wiring in my brain. Depressive thoughts seem to come from my soul and a harder to step back from.

1 Like

I find the unknown and paranoia in psychosis to be stronger and worse than depression for me if i had to scale them up. I can function on depression, not well but i can get by. I dont think there is anything worse than full blown psychosis

1 Like

For me, psychosis and paranoia is worse than depression. Sometimes being depressed makes me feel better.

1 Like

For me the depression is worse. At least when I’m psychotic I have adrenaline constantly running thru me and feel SOMETHING. Now I feel dead. But at least I’m not locked up…

1 Like