Depression or psychosis?

I struggle with both.

I wonder which one you prefer (or hate) most.

Depression or psychosis? What do you choose?

Oh psychosis is something I truly can’t handle. I think depression imo is the lessor of the 2.

1 Like

I feel psychosis gets all the bad press and depression gets all the sympathy.

3 Likes

nothing helped my depression years ago until I got on an ap that didn’t have sexual side effects…schizophrenia is worse than depression though imo.

2 Likes

Also with depression I know ADs work. I find the help from APs to be more questionable (my former pdoc labeled me as therapy resistant).

Hmmm. Schizophrenia is like a mugging and depression is like a home invasion, they both are horrible. I don’t want either. I can’t choose.

4 Likes

Both suck but depression is worse for me

1 Like

I really don´t want to freak out and go out of control…

And the meds are much better for depression alone I think

1 Like

I can still totally function with depression, but I can’t with psychosis.

2 Likes

I have a combination of both of that. Psychotic depression sucks.

1 Like

I have more coping mechanisms for psychosis then depression. I can pass as normal even when I’m full-blown psychotic. I have high insight though. I have a reserved personality so even if I’m hallucinating I don’t really react to it. I kind of just watch it. Depression is just despair.

1 Like

I think i got bipolar, i am depressed for awhile and get psychotic/manic cause the depression is getting to deadly. Its like a holiday on a budget.

1 Like

Yes. What @SpringRose said. I cant function at all when psychotic, and I easily lose insight.

Depression sucks, but I can still get through the day with it.

2 Likes

I think living with depression is easier than not being able to trust your mind or anyone around you…

1 Like

I don’t like to label what’s better or worse, because both suck. With that being said, I seem to be less functional when I am severely depressed. I don’t get too delusional though. I think if I had bad delusions then my psychosis would be worse. Mania does more damage and takes a bit longer to recover than the other two. I always seem to have a bit of a financial mess to clean up after a manic episode.

Depression, mania, and psychosis all bow down to OCD for me. I get so preoccupied with my obsessive intrusive thoughts and compulsions to keep them at bay that I literally cannot get anything done. I can’t think about anything else, it’s my obsessive worry about home intruders.

This is a bit of an example of my thought process when my OCD was at it’s worse: “oh I just touched something once with my right hand, better even that out with a solid four touches. Oh, but now it’s not balanced so I have to touch it an odd amount of times with my left hand. Better touch it three times. No, three is less than four so I have to touch it at least five times. If I don’t someone might break into my home and hurt my family and pets. I know it’s irrational, but what if it happens this time?”

It’s those kinds of thoughts all day. I have to check the doors an odd amount of times, but after I check it 6 times I have to close my right eye so I checked it 7 times with my left eye, but my right eye is still an even amount of times. I have to walk onto a flight of stairs with my right foot, and always get to the ground with my left foot. I have had to walk up and down stairs more times than I’d like to admit because I didn’t estimate which foot would be on the ground correctly. I don’t get a single waking second of peace from my intrusive thoughts and compulsiveness to counter act them.

3 Likes

OCD is pure hell, unending psychological torture. I was the same until I started taking an antidepressant called Luvox. I have maybe 3 intrusive thoughts a day now. Talk to your pdoc. OCD can be treated easy sometimes.

3 Likes

Thanks @Mars, I’ll definitely ask my psychiatrist about it. I had it kept at bay with Zoloft, but I had to get off of it for medical reasons.

1 Like

I think depression is worse because it can lead to apathy, suicidal thoughts etc. Negative emotions.

Psychosis can be a rollercoaster but when you get stable and on meds its a bit easier to deal with it.

1 Like

Psychosis renders me useless. Depression i can fight through. I deal with it almost every day. Psychosis has me in bed unable to breathe.

1 Like

I can somewhat function with depression. With psychosis, not so much. So I’ll take depression over psychosis.

1 Like