Schizophrenia.com

Cop following me when driving

I pulled out of my driveway, turned onto the main road and headed towards the market for some food shopping. It isn’t far from my house. I was halfway there, I noticed a cop car right behind me. I pull over into the market parking lot and park my car. The cop car follows me in, and pulls over by me. He rolls down the window and tells me that the inspection sticker on the car has expired. I was polite and told him that it isn’t my car but Ill tell my Dad about it.
He nodded ok and drove off - he didnt ask for proof of ID.
Was this guy following me? How can he see a sticker on my windshield from far away? makes me wonder -
I wasnt speeding - did I look odd to him or strange? Any answers would be appreciated

1 Like

I don’t know how he was able to see your sticker, but I don’t think you looked odd or strange to him.

1 Like

He probably just looked at your plate. I’d say he was a good guy letting you off like that. He could have ticketed you.

2 Likes

The thing about the sticker is strange, that would’ve freaked me out too. When I’m paranoid it shows, and people react to it, including cops. It makes me look suspicious. I don’t think it’s all in my head that people look at me when I’m acting strange. I’m glad we have cops to help keep us safe but I can’t stand being around them.

1 Like

For the life of me, Im trying to figure it out - maybe I was driving too slow? This could be a possibility - Im getting distorted thoughts thinking he followed me because he knows Im schizophrenic - not healthy to think this way I know

This is true Malvok, he could have ticketed me and he was nice about it all

Yes I look suspicious when Im paranoid - but I did a good job handling myself with him - i get freaked out under those circumstances

That is certainly strange! How could he have seen the sticker from behind? You’re right in thinking that he wasn’t following you because he knee you had sz. That’s a weird one!

Don’t worry about it. If cops aren’t pulling you over on a regular basis then, why worry?. Keep your car in good working order and keep driving exactly how you always drive. A cop pulling you over ONCE is nothing to worry about. Besides, if you are able to handle driving a car, I doubt your behaviour in general is particularly odd or strange. But yeah, ONCE, is no big deal.

1 Like

Im not really worried about being pulled over - the burning question is why was he following me when I was obeying the driving rules? This makes me really wonder - thats all

don’t worry you are just being paranoid happens to me all the time, in australia all information the rego for the car , driving licences, demerit points are all on their laptops in their cars, there are cameras on the cop cars that can read an amazing amount of licence plates a minute.
take care

2 Likes

I’m not trying to be funny, but maybe he was bored? They are only human too. Their jobs arn’t always that exciting, and sometimes, yeah, they follow the next car available, nothing personal, especially if it is just this one time.

1 Like

I agree. Sometimes in a cops downtime he will pull someone over for any little reason hoping it will turn into something more like a drug bust, or someone driving and drinking, or weapons. Why did he pull you over? I don’t know. Maybe just take him at face value and figure it was solely the sticker. You would know better than us if you were acting unusual at the time.

Maybe this is why I was upset - I got stopped as a law abiding citizen. No speeding - nothing peculiar, minding my own ■■■■■■■ business. I honestly thing it was boredom and this is even more of a concern for me and should be for other drivers in town. Maybe in his own mind I was sticking out somehow and out of boredom he decided to follow me.
It doesnt matter now - at least he was cool enough to let it go. I should be grateful, I guess

When ever I’m in a small town there is a 50/50 chance I’ll get pulled over. DarkSith is right, they can run your plate and get all the info in a matter of seconds.

Last time I got stopped was about two hours out of Seattle in a little farming town past Tacoma. Cops are board and of course we big city kids must always have pot on us. They searched my car and didn’t find anything. If my sis wasn’t there it would have gotten a lot worse. I was having a hard time not jumping out of my skin.

When I’m in Seattle, there are too many people to pull over for no reason.

1 Like

This makes sense J too - I do not live in a big city yet there is a big police presence here all of the time anyways

The car was out of inspection. It’s not like he didn’t have reason to pull you over.

This is true, but I was on his radar before he noticed the sticker - He probably ran the plate number and came to warn me nicely about the expired inspection sticker, the more I think about, the more I am seeing the positive side to this story

1 Like

I have never had problems with cops. Here is my advice. Always be respectful, stay calm and don’t get paranoid. Some people are afraid of cops. They’re just doing their job think of it that way. If he asks for I.D. always be polite. I’ve never had a citation, although I have been pulled over a total of 3 times since I got my car over a year ago. Only once for speeding and I don’t think I was actually speeding. I wasn’t sure what to do because i was in an intersection, so I pulled over to the gas station and parked. He checked my college I.D. and told me to slow down, but I think they were after someone else with a similar car because I had been going only maybe 5 miles over the speed limit. So it was understandable he didn’t ticket me and I didn’t argue. But I didn’t handle it as well as I could have i started crying. The other time was for a headlight and I was lucky because I never realized the passenger had a beer in the cupholder and I look up and I’m like holy ■■■■ ur stupid and she got a citation but I had to be given a sobriety test. I passed it and they let me go when I had to drive 3 hours. Then the third time I was threatened with drug dogs because the driver looked high and he said it was allergies, but we went home it was during graduation so they had checkpoints everywhere. Then, one time the same friend dared me to run out of the mall with high heels on that I was trying on. I got kicked out of the mall for 6 months lol. I haven’t been back there since that.

I did some thinking today, and I realized that I did a lot of complaining, and I should not have been.
The cop that stopped me was actually very cool. He warned me and that was it. It could have cost me or my Dad some $$$$ but it didnt happen. I was upset because the incident sparked up my paranoia. I am more upset with myself now not the cop - He was a good guy

2 Likes