Change "mental illness" to "brain illness"?

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Idk when people hear the word mental illness they think of it as an emotional problem or something we have much control over.

I feel the term "Brain illness’ or “brain system illness” or “brain based illness” makes it less confusing because it places the illness in something tangible and concrete rather than some vague term (mental) that is difficult to define.

12 Likes

i like to call it a neurological condition.

11 Likes

Yea true I guess there are other terms :slight_smile: that’s a great one lol

3 Likes

This makes sense. I agree.

2 Likes

Nah I´m just ■■■■■■ up from the head. No need to sugar coat it…

1 Like

Yea man tbh it’s just like… say I call into work to take a day off…

If I say I have a mental illness I just feel like people are gonna say “well boo hoo. I had a difficult day too. Stop being a baby and come in. Get over it.”

Where as if it’s clear that it’s a brain disease or brain illness it’s more concrete. Like dude it’s not just “feelings” or “I’m feeling sad today”. My frikken brain is shriveling up from a legit disease lol.

A lot of people hear “mental illness” and roll their eyes.

3 Likes

Brain illness sounds better, but i think it would have the same stigma unfortunately.

5 Likes

I like neurological too. I also agree with @ThePoet

3 Likes

One day psychology will be outdated just like psychoanalysis. Medicine will be the way.

3 Likes

I’d like to vote to change Aziz’s name to “Ziza”, just because I feel like it…

Hmmm…I have the power to do so… :thinking:

4 Likes

It will be once we know more about the brain. Apparently we know almost nothing about the brain, not even 25% yet. There is brain genetics too.

2 Likes

? That doesn’t make any sense. Are you ok?

2 Likes

It’s Aziz reversed.

3 Likes

Yeah I like to call it a neurological disorder as well

4 Likes

I’m fine. just being silly

4 Likes

Ppl always tell me I am too serious. I don’t like that I am always too serious.

4 Likes

I agree about brain illness

3 Likes

I agree completely. I might use that to explain it to my little nieces when the time comes.

1 Like

Thanks dude. I like the pic change. What soccer player is that

1 Like

Yea I think your right…people will always find ways to disregard others…anyways lol I just think it could help with the perception …or maybe education is the way…

1 Like