Schizophrenia.com

Cannot fall back asleep when waking up

since I started taking antipsychotic, every morning when I wake up I feel tired and cannot fall back asleep, its like my body and is tired but my brain can’t shutdown to fall asleep…

anyone else experience this?

For what seems like forever, I have been unable to go right back to sleep after waking up. I never associated it with medication.

I hate when that happens. But for me, I’ve always had sleep problems, even before I took medication.

If I wake up early, I usually can hop right back in bed and sleep til noon. Sleep is something don’t we all wish was like a switch. Ok I feel tired “click”! I’m asleep. During sleep the brain produces myelin something like that I heard on John Tesh radio show. It’s like your brain is a cel phone getting its charge back. For the next day.

I had insomnia bout that lasted 14 days, during that time I could not sleep a wink or maybe got 2-3 hours at most. Pdoc gave me seroquel and trazodone. Make sure you got something extra just for sleep. And I am not referring to OTC sleep aids. Those aren’t guaranteed to work.

I will wake up and drink a cup of coffee in bed, then go right back to sleep no problem. Sometimes I would go to bed and have to think about one problem over and over until I come up with a solution or sleep whichever came first, usually sleep.
The more I try to force sleep, the harder it is to fall asleep.
I also used to just get up and stay awake, that way the next night I would be so tired, I’d have no trouble falling asleep. Believe me,when you get tired enough, your body just shuts down.

I cant sleep if woken up. My dogs barking pisses me off.

Lately I’ve been sleeping well, but there are times when I get up and do not go back to sleep :sleeping: :frowning:

I have trouble falling back asleep when I wake up in the middle of the night. I started taking a few valerian root capsules when I wake up, and that usually gets me back to sleep in about 30 mins.

It’s strong enough to get me back to sleep, but not so strong that I feel sedated. I take 500 mg capsules.

I hope you get some good rest!

Blessings,

Anthony

thank you all for your reply’s, looks like its something unique to me

What time of the morning are you waking up and can’t get back to sleep? I have been struggling with mild insomnia for about 3-4 years now. If I wake up anytime after 4:30 or 5 then I just get up even if I still feel tired. Depending on how long you have been taking antipsychotics your body may have a little adjusting to do and this may take a little time. Is it possible to go to bed a little earlier so that you body is getting more rest time? You may need 8-10 hours of sleep or more especially if you recently started taking antipsychotics that are sedating at bed time. Talking to your pdoc may help as well as s/he may be able to prescribe a sleep aid that can help calm both your mind and body for sleep. I hope this gets better for you soon.

I can sort of fall back asleep. But it’s like a half sleep. Plus I sleep walk. I wake up about every two hours. I’m developing a curing idea for my kid sis and so far is it seems to be working.

I usually wake up at around 8-9 am and been taking antipsychotics for over a year and tried sleep at all different times of the day, sometimes I even get tired in the middle of the day and can’t fall asleep

If you are getting enough hours of sleep at night is it possible that some of what you are feeling could be attributed to depression? Depression can have a direct affect on how the body feels. It can weigh you down physically. At the same time I would not rule out that your antipsychotics may be causing this feeling. Have you talked to your pdoc about it? I can empathize with being tired and not being able to sleep because your mind won’t shutdown. It is frustrating.

I talked to my pdoc about it he said it could be due to the antipsychotic