Can you work part time and still collect ssdi?

I currently receive ssdi but its not enough for me to live with as its barely enough to get by. But I can’t work full time because of my condition. Can you work part time and still get ssdi?

You have more freedom on SSDI than SSI. Best to talk directly to SS than deal with random people or inaccurate info. Just my 2 cents. I’ve heard stories, but yes, I think you can.

1 Like

I’ve been doing it for years. But @anon28145038 is right. Better to call Social Security and talk to them yourself about your own personal situation. The national number is 1-800-772-1213, Monday-Friday. You might want to have a family member or friend join in on a conference call to ask questions and give support.

The rules for SSDI are set up so you can “test the waters” and attempt to see if you can work while still collecting benefits. They will answer most questions about it.

The only problem I see is if you just got awarded SSDI recently and you are trying to work already. I think (not sure) that Social Security would kind of frown on you going back to work already if you just got awarded SSDI for the first time in the last couple months. They might (not sure) wonder if your disability is that bad if you are trying to work just a couple months after getting awarded.

And just a tip: when you call Social Security it is best to call early in the morning. They tend to get busier as the day goes on and they might put you on hold for more than an hour if you call later in the day.

1 Like

You can, but the number of hours and amount of pay has caps. Also, they can use that to say well if you can work that many hours who’s to say you couldn’t work more. It kind of puts disabled people between a rock and a hard place

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.