Am I allowed to work with ssi or ssdi?

I’m thinking of applying. I’m a student and I’m screwing up really really bad in school because I can’t balance work and school. I want to keep my job but work drastically less hours so I can keep up in school. As of now that’s out of the question because if I don’t work as many hours as I work now there’s no way I can afford to live. I was hoping to supplement my income with it so I can do well in school. Is applying for ssi or ssdi a bad idea if this is my plan?

Also what’s the best way to go about getting info on this? Do I just walk into the dss office? Do I need an appointment?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t try to do both full time work and part time school or something remotely along those lines. Even for a normal person that is very difficult. If you are working towards a degree you can usually get a loan from school for room and board. If it is community college, I think part time work plus 2-3 classes would be ok. What is your situation right now? If you did not get your college degree yet, I highly recommend focusing on that. High functioning people can have a very hard time getting Ssi. You have to wait for months without working, how would you support yourself? I got denied and told I probably won’t get it, even though I wasn’t working at the time.

3 Likes

I don’t know if you can apply for it if you are “able” to work. I’d try to get in contact with your local social security office they should be able to answer your questions a lot more accurately

2 Likes

National number for Social Security: 1-800-772-1213.
Good to call as early in the day as you can as later in the day the it tends to get busier and it might be a longer wait time on hold to get a live person to talk to.

They will want to know about your work history and your education; either right away or later on. They will want to know how you function in everyday life and your medical history. They might ask you right away about these things or maybe later if you fill out the paperwork. They will ask you a lot more but these questions and how you answer them are very important.’

But you can call that number and they will give you information about applying and try to answer any questions you have. They will tell you if you should go into your local office. These offices (in my area at least) can get pretty busy so I find that an appointment is best because if you walk in, you may br looking at sitting in a crowded room for an more than an hour sometimes. It could be less.

It is possible to walk-in and be seen quickly if you get there early. My modus operandi when I have to go is to go early in the morning and get there before they even open to be the first person there when they open the doors… Also, if you end up going to an office to talk to a worker, it’s OK to bring someone with you such as a family member or even a good family friend to serve the dual function as moral support and to make sure you are understanding everything the worker is telling you.

3 Likes

@Noise were you looking for therapy online? 7 cups seems to have online therapists, maybe you could give that a try. I find therapy helpful for anxiety, negative thinking, and general wellness.

3 Likes

Um I already have therapists though??? I was thinking about joining another forum for my ptsd but??

I’ve been to 7 cups my experience hasn’t been great I get to paranoid about who’s on the other side of the screen for some reason. Plus I’m always scared they’re gonna make a hospital come get me.

But why do you ask?? and what does it have to do with this topic?? Not to be rude im just confused??

1 Like

I just remember you mentioning something about it before, I think.

2 Likes

I’m sorry @anon62973308 maybe I did, I’m pretty scrambled today. I’m very touched that you were willing to help me with that though. I’m definitely going through a big rough patch lately. I’m always open to suggestions so thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah but you kinda get punished if you make anything more than $2000.

2 Likes

If you’re currently in school and working you’re pretty unlikely to get approved. One of the stipulations for ssdi is you have to be unable to work for the last 6+ months.

ETA once you have it you can work part time as long as you don’t make more than a certain amount each month.

3 Likes

No the government basically doesn’t let you use SSI or SSDI as a supplement to your income for very long when you are on it and limit what you can earn if you qualify. You would not necessarily be limited to $2,000 if you qualified for an ABLE account which would increase the asset limit a little more than what it used to be which is an improvement over what they used to have. I agree with the others that you would not likely qualify and would suggest that if you cut your hour working either take fewer classes, get a higher paying job, or try to get a scholarship. If you are doing well in school don’t even pay SSI or SSDI any mind. It’s more trouble than it’s worth because the rules are suffocating.

2 Likes

Was thinking the same. I’m just having such a hard time keeping up I’m looking for anything to help. But I work about 15 hours per week and am taking 3 classes. I have a gen ed associates and am currently finishing a psychology associates. Community college level.

1 Like

Currently I’m barely making $1000

1 Like

I’ll call just in case but I have the feeling that they’re just going to reiterate everything you guys have said here. I’m just trying not to rip my ■■■■■■■ hair out trying to pay my rent and keep my gpa up. I’m tried of letting my schoolwork fall behind because all of my effort is going towards working my measly part time hours.

It’s just so frustrating. I can’t even afford food. We just got denied a SNAP card because my SO took on too many holiday hours last month. But it all went to bills. I just don’t understand how anyone is supposed to live like this. With both of our incomes combined we are still below the federal poverty line and we get no help. I’m ready to give up.

2 Likes

Just don’t let your total money go over $2000 and you will be fine.

I hope. I’ll call.

2 Likes

Good luck @bittercat I hope everything goes better for you!

1 Like

Thank you. I will need it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.