Can you leave your house?

I remember before all the craziness, leaving the house and going to restaurants or the movies was just a normal thing to do and I felt nothing other than, I’m just going out. NOW, I feel like a freak and like I don’t deserve to be out with the rest of society so I lock myself in doors and stay high to forget about my problems. Any others feel like a freak who doesn’t belong when they leave the house?

6 Likes

Me. Pretty much. It’s a big deal for me to leave the house. And when I do leave I’m constantly aware of “how well I’m doing” or not in passing for normal.

Like you it used to be something I took for granted.

3 Likes

Honestly I’m doing well enough now when I’m out of the house. I’m just extremely disinclined to leave.

I can leave, but will I?

I follow Conan O’Brien’s advice. Whenever I get those feelings of not belonging, I tell myself I do. Lie to myself if necessary.

It’s a big deal for me to leave the house too.
I have a difficult time coping.

Fears, anxiety and paranoia get in the way.

I was stalked heavily at first. Then the voices came in. After and during voices i hated being out. Now theyre gone mainly i feel good going out.

1 Like

I feel like that too. Everytime I’m out now I think, what is the purpose of this and why are we so distant from each other. I used to be so happy out there everyday but now I feel everyone is out for themselves and it’s a jungle out there.
I just try to stay positive and do what I gotta do then get home lately.

1 Like

I have to go to work five days a week, but I definitely feel like I don’t belong when I’m there.

I hardly leave the house nights and weekends. When I do, I’m super aware of myself and hypervigilent.

2 Likes

Leaving the house actually helps me; there’s always so much chaos going on where I live (I come from a big family).

1 Like

I can leave my house, but it is not a pleasant experience…

1 Like

I can’t leave the house right now, but when I am doing okay, I can usually leave if my husband is with me. I absolutely have to shower, dress nice, and put on makeup though. It is my armor; it makes me feel like I fit in, and it makes me feel better about myself. I put a lot of effort into it even if I’m just going to the gas station.

2 Likes

I only leave the house for 2- 3 hours a week. My husband and I get groceries and go out to eat. Other than that, I am housebound due to my paranoia. The only other places I go are to pick up meds or to the pdoc once every three months. I don’t have a car anymore, sold it because it mostly sat idle once i went on disability.

3 Likes

I’m in a similar boat. I don’t like to leave the house. It makes me nervous and I kind of feel out of place.

That being said, my new therapist is encouraging me to leave the house more regularly. I’m trying to do it a couple times a week now.

2 Likes

At first probably no, but I’ve been taking meds and I haven’t relapsed since 2014. Going out is fine and nobody knows I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia unless I tell them and they seem to respond positively, I haven’t experienced anyone treating me differently in a negative way. Maybe sometimes patronised, like isn’t she doing well but no fear or hate has come my way in a real way

2 Likes

I can’t stand going out because of the painful pressure in my head, along with thought broadcasting. Sad.

2 Likes

Have to go get my eyes tested on Monday. Am quietly freaking out about it.

1 Like

I feel like a total freak of nature … I don’t ever leave my house hardly at all I can’t do it

2 Likes

I go out of the house for stuff I need to do like school or volunteering. My phobias kick in while driving. I don’t really spend any more time in public than I need to to advance my goal of getting a job. I don’t really hang out with other people that much in real life cuz I’m afraid of driving. I’m not as scared of driving as I used to be but it is still crippling and making having a normal life more difficult

Or maybe society doesn’t deserve you. Have ypu ever thought about that?

Well the problem with as disorder is that people usually see you below the normal standards. So you really have to try to attempt acts that society will recognize you. Even though it’s like that for the rest of their lives its better if you know when your limits are met. So at least try for you and for the hope of curing sz.

1 Like

You think so because you still think schizophrenia really exists. Society generally won’t respect people who are diagnosed with schizophrenia. But it’s possible to change the game by changing you own paradigm about the “disease”. There are many authors and activists that talk about a new paradigm in relation to mental illnesses, but this forum tends to flag and block any attempt of showing this new paradigm.