Can People with Schizophrenia Work?

5 Likes

I think people would surprise themselves at what they can achieve and how proud they should be that they can do what they do

5 Likes

I read somewhere like 10% of SZ/SZA work.
Very different answer to what that says.

3 Likes

Here under rationale

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs80/chapter/quality-statement-5-supported-employment-programmes

“It is estimated that just 5–15% of people with schizophrenia are in employment, and people with severe mental illness (including psychosis and schizophrenia) are 6 to 7 times more likely to be unemployed than the general population”

3 Likes

i think above or below you need the cash to make it. its no a choice …life is hell get a helmet

5 Likes

I tried last spring to return to work but in an “easy” job. I failed. I couldn’t do it. I guess I’m not ready

5 Likes

Yes, unless it was all an elaborate 38 year hallucination.

2 Likes

I’ve been broken a very long time but I still manage to be employed.

6 Likes

i have worked
but i think the short answer is that it’s not been worth it for me
striving for achievement as a student or working put me in hospital several times

1 Like

Definitely. Some people don’t get the State to pay for them, and you have no choice but to work.

Given the choice between being homeless or having to work is a no brainer…

3 Likes

At leas he has the full ability to work Even if he under the effect of schizophrenic factor (after 4 weeks of medical intervention) ,but he can not working naturally along life time while he under the effect of medical drugs treatment !
No exception at all !

I do believe that some people with SZ can work.

There are some fine examples of what we’re able to do right here on this very forum, in fact.

I think given the right environment, understanding people, and enough support, many more of us might be able to enter the workforce in some capacity.

However, such a trifecta is difficult to come by.

The reality of it is that work can be extremely stressful, people in general suck when it comes to accepting mental health issues, and quality support systems for SZ are severely lacking.

I wish more programs were available to help us either find volunteer work, or actual paying jobs.

Psychosocial rehabilitation by way of work can be a good thing, as long as stress stays at bay.

4 Likes

i’ve been working also. i believe they know at work that i have sz. some whisper to my face to quit the job and/or to leave. i just ignore it and them.

i enjoy my line of work --library science.

judy

2 Likes

I have been working since I graduate from high school.12 years employed,and I workout everyday since 2011

2 Likes

I had jobs when I was in remission of the disease. I was on medication. That was in the beginning. I was happier working. I chose to become a scholar, I wanted to be a famous writer and I was quite ignorant. A voice told me to just stick to restaurant work and it would have been better but I went off my meds and relapsed. I was unable to work for four years and got on disability when a full blown psychosis relapse occured. I got in clozaril and did very well and worked a few more years. Then I did it again and went off my medicine and had a big relapse. I never recovered from that relapse or any other. I could not stand my volunteer work, not working for pay at hard jobs! I had one volunteer job for six months working at a nursing home doing activities with the elderly I loved until I lost my patience. I think I would like to be a street musician. You have to get a licence to do that here in the USA. But I need to improve a lot. I stay busy most days and go to sleep very tired.

2 Likes

I haven’t been working for 30 years. If I could I would have worked. But because of the high pension in my country and that I quit drinking 20 years ago I have invested and saved more than a mill. Of my contries currently to when I get old. I always have money so why should I go get a job.
Of harms you don’t get rich but you get wiser

2 Likes

One million is more then enough to retire…

I wish I could work.

1 Like

The stipend I received on assistance was just short of what I needed to live on. Barely surviving. It’s stressful AF. I figure if you’re going to be stressed AF, you might as well do it with pocket money. So I pushed myself back into employment. It was not an overnight process.

1 Like

It does keep you in a poverty trap for sure.

My stress seems to exist as a constant, and you’re right, far better to have some cash for the endurance of life.

Does actually make it a much better proposition

It was 6 months I was getting setup with temporary housing and benefits when I put a stop to it, and went back to live with my parents and got a job.

After that it took me 4 years to save for a place to live, and I have not looked back since

2 Likes