Can people see your mentally unwell when you don't think you are?

I can’t see myself ever being mentally unwell but my support team are adamant I have been mentally unwell. Do you you can mask unwellness?

I dont understand the question
Your support team believes what exactly what did they say to you?

1 Like

I don’t look unwell. I don’t believe there’s always a look.

2 Likes

i think i can mask it but i said to my mom “i come across weird talking to people i dont know well” and she said “you come across weird talking to people u do know too”…so idk…i dont think i can tell

2 Likes

Yes, I believe that. When I myself was completely out of it, I didn’t think I was.

Insight or self awareness is one of the first things to go in a mental illness. That’s why we have to rely on people to tell us when we are ill.

I’ve been told by my support staff I look ill from my eyes.

I hid it, masked it for several months but then it got to a severe point as the condition worsened, that members of the public called the ambulance.

As I was lying on the grass in the early hours of the morning. With just my underwear on
Saying to the dog walkers, don’t come near me, I will explode soon.

2 Likes

I can mask up to a point. My wife knows when I’m masking, but people who only know me casually can’t tell.

2 Likes

I mean I don’t look unwell but when you talk to me I’m definitely awkward around people but I don’t think that’s cos of my illness.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been told that my eyes look different when I’m unwell. I get dark circles under my eyes usually due to not getting enough sleep.

2 Likes

@The_Reflex I’ve been told my eyes don’t reflex, I mean with light.

2 Likes

my pupils are large…ive been to the eye doctor lots of times where they told me they dont even have to dialate my pupils to do the exam because my pupils are large

2 Likes

I can mask. Most people are shocked when they find out my diagnosis.

Bht when I’m reaching my limit I begin forgetting things and slipping up a lot.

2 Likes

I get it. Ok there may be ways to improve your demanor/appearance.

1 Like

that is a common problem so I’ve heard with SZ/SZA @irrelevant

1 Like

very interesting…i didnt know that

1 Like

Oh yea I remember when I thought I was going to die.

I was at a celebration family one.

And I was looking at my sister in law like I would never see her again

Like with admiring eyes.

Later she told me she could tell I was out of it lol. :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t know when to stop staring. I have ASD traits. It makes me feel paranoid when talking to people.

3 Likes

same. i either don’t make eye contact or i try to make eye contact and catch myself blankly staring at their eyes for what i think it too long

2 Likes