Everything I’ve found to read on the topic so far says that while psychosis can cause anxiety (duh), that anxiety cannot cause psychosis.
But in my experiences, stressful situations (at least stressful for me) absolutely seem to send me into some kind of episode. It’s like it snowballs, and my anxiety and/or depression keep escalating, and then eventually I start experiencing things like the entities talking to me, or people’s faces changing, and so on, and also get sucked into my own head with ideas like I’m a demon or something.
Some things that tend to make me worse are:
- Trying to work in an environment where I constantly have to talk/respond to people
- Being around family members that stress me the hell out
- Being isolated for even just several days at a time
- Not being able to sleep and being up all night by myself
- Being in unfamiliar/crowded places for prolonged periods of time
- Having to interact with medical or psych staff
- The weird lighting in most stores
Those are some common stress factors for me, and when my stress level over time builds up, I start to become unhinged.
PLUS most everything I read about psychosis insists that a psychotic person will not know or even suspect that they are becoming psychotic. Well I almost always go through a phase where I know that I am starting to experience some messed up ■■■■, and I can still reason with myself that X, Y and Z are not real, even if they seem real.
So is there just a ton of misinformation out there? Or could it be possible maybe that I have something like OCD that is so severe that it’s mimicking psychosis? Just very confusing.
What are your experiences with any relationship between anxiety and psychosis?