Best Typical AP?

Any idea what the best typical AP is? I’m looking for something very powerful, but without Akathisia. Any suggestions? I have already tried Haldol.

See this link and discussion and reference to the Consumer Reports review of APs:

Thanks @SzAdmin :slight_smile:

Its a little old - I think now almost all the drugs mentioned are now generic, and it probably doesn’t cover the injectables very well - but its a great start.

I just want to find something that works and hopefully won’t make me gain much more weight. I gained 40 pounds on Invega and it’s really bothered me. I appreciate you referring me to that review, I’m reading it now.

I think I’m going to ask the doctor about Perhphenazine. :slight_smile:

Perphenazine is a good choice.

It’s one of the better Typical APs out there.

Good luck @Sooner88

1 Like

What about Thorazine? Do you know anything about it? They didn’t really talk about it in that report.

Sequel any good? That’s what I’m switching to

Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic, I was asking about typicals not atypicals.

Don’t get out the pram

1 Like

I was on seroquel 600mg a day, and it just didn’t suit me. Everybody reacts very differently to each med. It’s just individual trial and error at the end of the day.

3 Likes

my ex wife is on perphenazine and she is very stable and no side effects…I am on fluphenazine and there are no side effects either…mine is generic for prolixin.

1 Like

I think thorazine causes a lot of sedation. Its not used much anymore.

2 Likes

Just what I was going to write @robertc lol

You might want to look into talking to your psychiatrist about trying out low dose Haldol.
@Sooner88

1 Like

I’ve tried Haldol all the way up to 10mg twice a day, which is a high dose. It helped but not that great.

1 Like

That’s a lot of haldol!

This has been my experience with the typicals:

Haldol - excellent med, but causes a lot of movement issues…akathisia, tremors. Been on as much as 80 mg. Yes, 80, as in 20mg 4 times a day. For me, the dose required to help was too high and caused a lot of discomfort.

Thorazine - Makes me emotionally numb, almost like my brain has turned to mush. Can’t think, sleep too much. Very sedating, especially in the beginning. Been on 800 mg total at one point. Also makes it easy to sunburn.

Mellaril - Works okay. Causes a ton of sexual dysfunction, and can cause sudden cardiac problems in folks. I never had an issue with it, but I took it before the cardio-toxicity was known. Don’t remember how much I took. Just remember not being too impressed.

Stelazine - Activating. Gets me moving…kinda like a jolt from too much caffeine. Personally, I have to take it 3 times a day, and that is inconvenient. A good med otherwise. Been on 20 mg max, but spent a lot of time at 15 mg.

Navane - Some say this is the most tolerable of the typicals. I spent the better part of my teen years on Navane. Only needed 10 mg. One doc pushed me to 30 mg to get me through a rough spot, and the akathisia was so unbearable I had to go to the Emergency Room. The lower the dose, the better.

Trilafon - Weak. Been as high as 48 mg on it, and it was never enough. A lot of people seem to like it, though. Also had to take 3 times a day.

Loxitane - Excellent med. Structurally similar to Clozaril. Another one that seems to be well-liked. Been up to 100 mg. Works well, but again has a short half-life, and I had to take it 3 or 4 times a day.

Prolixin - This is what I’m currently taking, and have been for some time. Got stabilized on this in March. I take 10 mg. Sedating in the beginning for me, but not any longer. Over 10 mg and I get movement side effects, but 10 is plenty. Milligram for milligram, it is as strong as Haldol.

All of the typicals, except for maybe Loxitane, raise prolactin. Thorazine runs as much risk of weight gain as Risperdal, but in low doses it causes movement side effects on par with most atypicals, that is to say, not much. Haldol has also been shown to cause weight gain in folks. Pubmed has some data on this stuff.

I have no experience with Orap. I hear it causes hella movement side effects. I think I covered them all. Hope this helps. By the way, and Pubmed can back me up on this, no typical is better than any other at dealing with positive symptoms. In fact, across the board, with the exception of Clozaril, they are all equally effective.

For clarification:
Haldol=haloperidol
Thorazine=chlorpromazine
Mellaril=thioridazine
Stelazine=trifluoperazine
Navane=thiothixene
Trilafon=perphenazine
Loxitane=loxapine
Prolixin=fluphenazine

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I was on Clopixol depot for over two years. It was very sedating and it gave me dry ejaculation. A very good drug for positive symptoms but I do not think it is available everywhere.