Best Typical AP?

That was a great post @anon40540444 I appreciate it. I’m looking into Perphenazine and Loxapine. I would really like to try one of those. Haldol actually helped, I would say it cut my positive symptoms by half, but it wasn’t enough and I had to go to the hospital. At that point I was taking Haldol and Seroquel together and I was switched to Invega. Invega worked better but caused me to gain way too much weight and I had sexual side effects as well such as dry ejaculation and painful ejaculation. Not to mention the infamous “Invega shrank my (bleep)” thread that got certain people so worked up the other day.

I’d really like to try some more of the typicals since they’re better studied and better understood.

1 Like

I love my loxapine. I take 10 mg 2x a day. But a lot if time I skip the daytime dose when working. Feel like it slows me down to much as a waitress.

Not much sexual side effects.

But I still feel kind if unmotivated except for work. But I’ve always been that way.

You should never skip your meds!

Hard to argue with this. For the most part, the typicals are pure dopamine blockers with some different receptors sprinkled here and there. The more sedating ones hit H1 (histamine) hard, and is the cause for the sedation. They grab the dopamine receptors and don’t let go, unlike atypicals which don’t bind so tightly to dopamine, and which also bind to serotonin. If you read up on articles online, you’ll find that there is a hesitancy for researchers to claim the rates of TD are so much lower as the marketing would lead you to believe. In fact, all atypicals, with the exception of clozapine, have all been documented at one time or another in causing TD. Some researchers peg the rate of TD at 3% per year for atypicals, and 5-6% per year with typicals. The atypicals have also not been around as long, so there is skepticism if they’re really so much better. For me, better to have a little TD in the thumb than be 100 pounds overweight, and hospitalized on an insulin drip from diabetic ketoacidosis that Zyprexa induced. I steer far and wide of the atypicals.

Thorazine=chlorpromazine really didn’t do anything for me. It was the 1st one I was on while in the hospital. I didn’t find it sedating, if anything I had insomnia but that was one of my main sx at the time. Started to gain some weight.

Trilafon=perphenazine was prescribes for anxiety. Didn’t seem to do anything or cause any sedation. Was supposed to take it PRN but ended up taking it every day 2x trying to get something out of it but nothing happened.

I’ve been taking Navane (Thiothyxene) at 10 mg. or less for years. The stiffness of muscles and restlessness was very bothersome and they took about 10 years to go away!! But now that they’re gone I’m quite satisfied with the drug.