Schizophrenia.com

Best sleeping med

Please help me come up with ideas, I see my pdoc tomorrow. My insomnia has been worse than ever, even on 200mg of Seroquel which was increased temporarily by a walk in clinic about three weeks ago. Trazadone has never worked for me even at 50, 100, and 200mg doses. I’ve tried melatonin with no success, sleepy time tea, guided meditation, reading, journaling, guided breathing exercises. Nothing seems to work and whats worse is my paranoia is 10x worse at night, which makes all my senses more aware at night which seems to be feeding into the problem. Some nights I get so frustrated I take the 200mg of Seroquel and followed it with 2mg of Ativan because I was so desperate to sleep. I do sleep on nights that I do that, but I know that is a bad thing to do and I cannot keep doing that. Please I need ideas or any ideas for new meds to try to possibly bring up that I could try. What’s worse is I can’t afford to be seen by my pdoc more than once every 8 weeks so it makes trying to do med adjustments very difficult…

Try 5mg of haldol

1 Like

Oh no I can’t take haldol due to really bad side effects I get from it.

Low dose Seroquel?

Ok, did you tried before?.
Check your cortisol. Try magnesium glycinate and taurine. Relax the CNS

Does chamomile helps? Its known to help sleep and its calming

1 Like

I’ve tried 25mg, 50mg, and now I’m on 200mg of seroquel currently

1 Like

Avoid caffeine after 3pm.

1 Like

I’ve tried chamomile tea, I actually drink a cup every night

2 Likes

Yes but have you tried haldol?

1 Like

My pdoc gave me amitriptyline as a prn for sleep

1 Like

Yes I tried haldol last fall, and I had a horrible experience with it. Turned me into a zombie at a low dose, couldn’t work, almost lost my job, gave me backwards head and neck muscle tension that was super unpleasant.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you are terrible insomnia and nothing works

You are on abilify? If that so then you have your answer

1 Like

I agree, what meds are you on? Some cause insomnia for some.

1 Like

Nope, I’m on Geodon, Wellbutrin, Topamax, Seroquel and Ativan as a PRN.

I think the wellbutrin can cause sleep problems, but I didn’t used to have a problem with it until like 3 months ago.

When did the sleep issues start? With a recent med change?

1 Like

No recent med change, they started randomly three months ago very abruptly when I started dealing with some PTSD issues.

Geodon and especially Wellbutrin can be pretty activating.
I would discuss a solution with your doctor @Hanna_Foxx.

1 Like